Chapter 11

Immediately after Jim and I had reached the opening, B.E.N. had come running to us and said, "Jim, Y/N, have any thoughts on how to get out of here?" When he saw our hands intertwined, he started squealing. "No way! Jimmy and N/N are together! Jimmy and N/N sittin' in a tree. K-I-S-S-"

Jim slapped his head to shut him up. I giggled but looked over at the captain with Doppler by her side. She was looking deathly pale, and from the looks of it, her wound was only getting worse.

As the robot shook Jim's hand off, Jim looked at me and then to the sky, looking lost. In the green aura glowing in the sky above, there floated the ship where this whole journey began.

"Without the map, we're dead," He started. B.E.N. was gone, probably to annoy Doppler, but Morph was there floating by our heads instead. "If we try to leave, we're dead. If we stay here..."

"We're dead! We're dead, we're dead, we're dead!" Morph imitated, dancing around us. He clearly was clueless about our current situation.

I started rubbing Jim's back in an attempt to comfort him. "Jim, it's going to be okay. Maybe there's a-"

"-back door." B.E.N. was waltzing to the far side of the room clumsily.

"Back door?" Jim said, his face lightening up just a tad bit. I perked up a bit, too, at the mention of another exit.

"Oh, yeah. I get this delightful breeze through here," The machine was rolling a ball-like shape. From here, a light was emitting from beneath it. Jim took me by the hand and be dashed to where he was standing, "which I think is important, because the ventilation among friends.."

"Whoa," I breathed. When I peered over the circular opening, I could see miles of pipes and metal traveling deeper into the interior of the planet. I gentle gust of air flowed through my H/C hair and I sniffed the faint smell of oil and rusting pipes.

"What is all this stuff?"Jim said in awe, and a child-like wonder was in his features.

"You mean the miles and miles of machinery that run through the entire course of the inside of this planet?" He looked up at us, casually leaning on the edge, and I was having a slight panic attack, fearing he could fall at any given moment. "Not a clue."

"Hey, Doc! Doc! We think we found a way out of here!" Jim started to climb over the edge and I felt my heart thunder even faster.

While Doppler was giving us his pleads and warnings, I said, "Jim, are you sure about this? It looks a bit..." I trailed off when he gave me 'the look'. There seriously was no way out of this one. I sighed as he grabbed my hand and we jumped through the opening without a second thought.

I bit my tongue to keep from screaming all the way through for a few, terrifying, seconds and felt the taste of metallic fill my mouth. Great. We luckily landed on something soft, but I was too terrified to complain that it felt damp.

"P-please warn me when you try to do that next time, okay?" I was staggering to my feet and gripped a nearby pole to support my shaking body.

"Aw, where's the fun in that? Besides, you wouldn't have agreed to do it either way," He chuckled at my scowling face, but more than that- he was right. I might have leaped a yard or two over the infinity of space to reach a sailboat, but that was nothing compared to the terrifying feeling that you weren't certain where you might land.

B.E.N. had unfortunately landed on concrete and was momentarily unconscious, but was back to his old self in no time. We traveled through the large ventilation system in the planet, and found many tunnels that led to the surface. Eventually, Jim had found the correct opening and the both of us, accompanied by Morph, poked our heads out of the hole like the whack-a-mole game.