Chapter 5

Jim and I literally stayed up till midnight (maybe even after) cleaning the filthy dishware. We had just done a whole pile of dishes when Silver dumped a load more to my right.

When he was out of earshot, Jim scowls at him while I groan in defeat. "Where did you go, oh precious dishwasher." Jim looks at me confused and I chuckle. "It's ancient technology, bud. You wouldn't know."

"Aren't we the dish-washers, though?" He reaches down into the soapy water and continues to scrub the bits of strange food crumbs off.

"Yes, but they were actual machines. Never mind," I sighed and reached for another plate when he looked at me weirdly.

A few moments of silence passed until Jim yawned and said, "Your planet seems weird."

I glanced up at him. "How so?"

He looks up in thought. "Its just... Your people seem, from what I heard from you, distant from each other. You said that you guys spend all your time talking to little... What are they called again?"

"Phones," I said with gritted teeth.

"Yeah, I learned about them in school. Wait, what year did you say it was on your planet?"

"2021."

Jim places a clean pate on his ever-growing pile. "So your family would be long gone before the meteor hits Earth, then."

I stood up so fast that I almost caused all the dishes to crash on the floor. "What?"

He, too, stood up to calm me down. "It's not as bad as you would think! The meteor destroyed your planet in the year 3594!" He stopped talking, in thought.

"What? What's wrong?" I ask, my worry taking over my fear.

"I just... It feels like I've told this to someone. A long time ago."

I stop and thought as well. "Yeah, I have the same feeling that I've heard this before, but..." I shake my head. "I'm sure it's nothing. C'mon. Let's finish these dishes before Silver yells at us again."

We worked tirelessly until Jim had passed out from exhaustion while I sat on the far side of the room thinking. Where had I heard about the future of Earth before? Surely not from anyone back home, so who had? And why was this the thing that had triggered my memory? Back home, my siblings and I would argue when the end of the world was and how it would happen.

My thoughts were interrupted when Silver walked in and admired our work. He looked around for me and I immediately slumped into a very uncomfortable position to sleep in. He looks from me to Jim for a second before walking over to me and placing his coat over my shoulders.

Silver looked around the kitchen and spotted a large towel and set it over Jim, keeping him warm for the night. He left silently to the upper deck, and I watched him go until he was out of sight. Turning my attention towards Jim, I noticed he was shivering, so I placed Silver's coat on his shoulders and walked to the storage room which was where I slept since I was one of the two women, including myself, aboard the ship.

The next morning was a little different. Silver had invited us to join his little sail on a small row boat and Jim had excitedly jumped onto the boat while I just stood there, deciding if I should risk my life for adventure, or to think about this logically and decide the possible outcomes of this choice. Obviously, I went for an adventure.

I closed my eyes and blindly took a leap of faith, my hair flapping in the wind as I dived into the small boat. Silver and Jim both applauded me for my bravery. Silver then taught Jim and I how to steer the ship and what all the machinery parts were for, but I got lost after the first sentence. Jim, however, seemed to catch on pretty quickly.