Chapter 1

As I wipe the sweat from my forehead from making my bed, I hear a crash from outside. I rush to the window in concern and then spot my two younger siblings.

"Annabelle? Braeden! Get off tha-"

"Wheee!"

The twins swung on a dangerously high rope swing hanging only by a single branch beside the orphanage. Although the two of them were adopted by a loving family, I, however, was not. I was nearing the age of 18, which is the age you are officially kicked out of the orphanage and would have to fend for yourself.

"I swear," I say as I tug the two of them inside to safety, "one day you both are going to get seriously hurt, and I won't be there for you." As I brushed off their dirty clothes, I looked into their eyes and could tell something was wrong. "What? What is it?" I set them down on a couch lining the hall and kneeled to their level.

"Well," my sister sniffed, her H/C hair in a pony tail, "Mom and Dad said we're-we're..." She started to bawl and I held her close.

"Shh, shh. It's going to be okay." Braeden started crying too, and I had to cover both of their mouths. "Quiet! If the headmistress hears you, you'll be banned from this section of town for good, and you'll never see me again!" Over the years, they kept barging into the building and causing a ruckus which annoyed the owner of this orphanage. She usually called the cops, like the average Karen, but they were always let go in a matter of minutes.

We all looked almost exactly alike. Annabelle was like an exact replica of me, and Braeden had those same E/C eyes our mother had. My mind started to drift to my past, but was thankfully distracted once they calmed down.

Braeden spoke up. "That's just it! They said we're moving to Italy, and we're not coming back!" Now that had me speechless. Leaving? To Italy?

I struggled to find my words. "Perhaps that's in a few weeks. Maybe we can-"

Braeden shook his head. "No! We're leaving right now!"

I was stunned. I tried to find an excuse to deny the truth, but nothing convinced my spinning mind. "As in, right-right now?" My voice was beginning to waver, but I must keep strong to hold a good example. I forced a lighter tone to keep them from crying again.

They giggled sadly. "Yeah, they're at the parking lot with everything in the car down the street. They said we could say one more goodbye to you," Annabelle sniffed.

"Well, I'm glad you did, because I made the two of you something that I've been meaning to give to you for a while, now. C'mon, follow me," I say and slowly walk down the empty hallway that led to my tiny room, motioning them to fallow. I was on the topmost floor, so no one was up here except me. The wall paper was curling from the cement, and I changed my shudder to a shiver when I saw a bug crawl into a crack in the ceiling. Hopefully this dump will have a renovation soon.

They obliged and sat on my tiny mattress for a bed when we arrived, the springs squeaking in protest. I handed each of them a hand made , and they were filled with our most cherished memories. Pictures, cards, crafts given as gifts and so much more. They flipped through the pages in awe, and after looking through each page, they hugged me in thanks.

"Thank you, Y/N," Annabelle said tearfully.

"Yeah, thanks. You're the best sister!" Braeden pipes.

I could feel mine and his heart break in that one sentence. "No problem, buddy. Now, let's get the two of you back to your parents, okay?" I ushered them to the window, but they stopped right at the opening.