Chapter 20- Apple Grove County

For the past two weeks, the base's personnel have been testing and registering the residents of the base. Notices have been sent out to all residents about recruiting ability users into the awoken army.

Other forces were also recruiting talented individuals into their ranks. The base released a law that every ability user team must have two major teams that represent the group as a whole. So Ivan divided the major team members into two, team A and team B. Team A consisted of Ivan, the girls and Lana and Team B consisted of Dominic, his main subordinates and Leon. The twins couldn't go on missions because they didn't reach the legal age, which was 14. Ivan and Dominic decided to name the group, The Pyro Association.

Both team A and team B went on many high-level missions and garnered a lot of attention. The Pyro Association became well-known throughout the base, and people even started signing up. Mira was the one in charge of testing the trainees to see if they were up to it or not. What surprised Ivan the most was how strict and serious she was. It got to a point, they started calling her 'The tigress with an iron fist.'

Ivy laughed her head off when she first heard that nickname. Kai then criticised her for having no manners and behaving like an uncultured hillbilly and as you could guess, they quarrelled again. Ivan's little snake hydra finally woke up from its long nap. She was now an adult and didn't need to hibernate anymore. Ivan trained with her in the system space when he had time.

Being the co-president of a large association, Ivan was quite busy, but due to Kai and Coral's surprising talent at management, it was a lot easier. And Just like that five months passed.

Ivan got out of the shower and steadily changed into a full black combat uniform and went downstairs. It was already late in the day so Ivan didn't really expect anyone to be at home but to his surprise, Dominic and Jade were on the sofa, hugging each other intimately. Ivan really couldn't take it anymore and walked in large strides towards them. Jade, seeing Ivan approaching, immediately tore away from Dominic's arms and sat at the edge of the sofa. This action made it seem like they were doing something scandalous and were trying to hide it.

"Dominic, can I talk to you for a second?"

Dominic sighed and got up to follow Ivan. They entered Dominic's study and Ivan shut the door.

Ivan turned to face him, " Dominic, I've already told you I don't like how intimate you are with Jade. It makes me uncomfortable. I understand that he's your childhood sweetheart but can't you limit the degree of intimacy between you two?"

Dominic sighed," Ivan, Jade is young and too innocent for his own good. He doesn't have his parents or his friends with him, I'm the only one he has, you have to understand. You have friends, wealth and power and you can easily protect yourself but Jade is different, he can't protect himself properly that's why he needs me."

"That still doesn't give him the right to be so intimate with you. And besides, being weak is a choice. If he really wanted to become strong, he could have just joined the association and worked hard just like everyone else. I'm so sick and tired of putting up with his bullshit! Don't you consider my feelings at all?!" Ivan looked at Dominic with unconcealed anger and sadness in his eyes.

"Of course I do, it's just Jade is young and innocent and a little spoiled. He doesn't understand some things and can be childish so please be a little patient with him."

Dominic walked towards Ivan and pulled him into his arms. He gently kissed the top of Ivan's head and buried his face in his neck. Normally Ivan would hug and kiss him back but at this moment, his heart felt cold and bitter.

Why was Dominic disregarding his feelings and doing what Jade wanted instead? He was his lover, not Jade's! Ivan clenched his fists and closed his eyes, he was really tired.

Three days prior, the base's headquarters sent a notice to the association, informing them about the new mission related to Apple grove County. The base leader appointed Ivan and team A to go with the military to bring back supplies from the abandoned factories and warehouses. And it wasn't just them. Other ability user teams were also appointed.

Before the apocalypse began, Apple grove county was a small county town with a population of only about 20 thousand. Even though the population was small, it had a vast amount of agricultural resources. The county was even nicknamed the city of grain.

Their agricultural technology was also advanced and they could store fresh vegetables and meat for up to two years and the taste still wouldn't change. Even though scientists had already found mutated plants and animals humans could consume, it would still be a great benefit to the base if they were able to bring back the supplies and technology from the county.

Word Count: 867