019. dumb conversations

tuesday, november 6th
[00:45]
📍your shared apartment

it was midnight, you were supposed to be sleeping yet here you were at your desk, scribbling down notes from your recent lecture. had you ever actually made use of the free time you got at the store, you wouldn't have to sacrifice your dear sleep for some damned homework. but then again, no one was there to distract you. as if on cue, your phone began to ring.

an irritated sigh escaped your lips as your focus gets split in two. the music you were listening to continued to softly play in the background while you reached for your phone.

you fumbled with the device, furious at the fact that someone was calling you this late. grumbling to yourself, you accepted the facetime call, not bothering to check the caller id whatsoever.

you leaned your phone against a book, tilting your head at the dimly lit screen.

you spoke in a soft yet tired voice, "hello?"

chifuyu's face came into view, picking up his own phone and placing it at a better angle. you noticed that he was holding a manga.

any irritation you were feeling vanished into thin air as soon as chifuyu smiled at you.

"hey!" he responded cheerfully, as if it was not 12 in the morning.

you were silent and blinked at the sight.

chifuyu, whose ears perked up at the music you were playing, completely forgot what he had called you for and instead chose to comment on your choice of music. "are you listening to disney songs?"

you sat back in your seat, crossing your arms at him. "yes i am. are you judging me, matsuno?" you chuckled, raising a brow at him accusingly.

chifuyu rolled his eyes, "absolutely not. turn that shit up, l/n."

you laughed, turning up the volume to 'when will my life begin'.

"by the way, why'd you call me?" you query, writing something in your notebook.

an offended gasp came from your phone, causing you to curiously peer over your textbooks.

"you wound me, y/n." chifuyu dramatically sighs, falling back onto his bed. "can't i just call you 'cause i wanna see ya?"

you almost choked. "i—well! i didn't say you couldn't!"

groaning, you dropped your head onto the table, taking a break from your study session—and to hide your rather flushed face from chifuyu.

the boy had the audacity to laugh at your flustered state. your head snapped up towards the screen when you heard a click. with an accomplished grin on his face, chifuyu had successfully taken a screen-shot. if possible, you felt your face flare up even more.

after you recomposed yourself, you sat up straight and began to read through your papers again. ignoring chifuyu's childish jokes. while listening to chifuyu talk, you continued attempting to finish your notes.

despite it being so unbelievably late at night to be awake, chifuyu seemed to be brimming with energy. not that you minded. he talked your ear off about the manga that he had recently bought. chifuyu slowly flipped through the pages, analyzing every single detail. you noticed that he seemed to be taking his time explaining the plot to you. you found it endearing.

chifuyu broke the silence that you forced yourself to work through—he knew you were probably overworking yourself with your millions of papers. chifuyu wanted to distract you. he wanted to give you the break you deserved.

a grin flowed naturally onto his face as you gushed about the art and how you wished you could draw just as beautifully. you swooned, cupping your cheeks at how all the visuals were drawn. chifuyu knew he probably should've let you work, but everyone needs a break every once amd a while.

chifuyu was well aware of your fondness for landscapes. every time you two went out, you were practically goggling at every single view as if you were a tourist.

you gasped, recalling some landscapes of tokyo that you had painted, and got up to show him.

you went on about how you studied visual arts in high school and wished you could continue to do so as a college minor. considering your rather busy schedule, you knew that you couldn't. but that didn't stop you from painting here and there.

chifuyu smiled as you brought up your highschool days and some art pieces you still kept.

your work was quickly forgotten as you and chifuyu continued to go on about your mutual likings and disliking about all the diverse characters potrayed in the manga.

you knew you were distracted, but you didn't say anything about it. you enjoyed talking to chifuyu, even if it meant sacrificing your precious sleep and your almost-completed homework.

you were so easily swayed by matsuno chifuyu who you just met five weeks prior—a little over a month, and you were entranced by a few charming words and gestures that meant more to you than he had probably intended.

you smiled at chifuyu—who was mid rant about 'a horrid character who deserves a redemption arc'.

he caught your eye and nervously smiled back. "sorry, am i starting to bore you?"

your eyes widened before you shook your head, "of course not! i think that the character's pretty interesting. their previous actions were wrong—but they were driven by anger. they're guilty and they want to make up for it. so yeah, i think a redemption arc would be nice!"

chifuyu gaped. you were listening. you listened to him talk. every single word.

he wasn't sure why he was suprised by your actions—or why his cheeks started to heat up.

chifuyu didn't expect you to have your focus on him the entire time he talked.

but he liked it. he wasn't sure why, but he liked it.

you rolled your chair back, a cry of pain startling you out of your conversation with chifuyu. your shoulder jolted in suprise as you whipped your head around, eyes snapping towards the floor. sunshine stared back at you with wide eyes.

you disappeared from chifuyu's line of view. he patiently waited as he heard you drop to the floor. worry flashes across his face.

you pulled the puppy into your arms, "sunshine! i'm so sorry, did i hit you?"

your eyes darted to your door, realizing it was open. you took the puppy in your arms and proceeded to the front of your room, closing the door behind you.

chifuyu's eyes lit up once you got back. "are you two okay?"

you chuckled, petting the poor puppy—who luckily wasn't mad at you. "we're fine! and he's a strong boy, right sunshine?"

you scratched the dog behind his ears as you grinned at chifuyu, showing him that there was nothing for him to worry about.

the two of you lost track of time. you'd never tell him, but you cherish the time you spent together. you were grateful for him and his dumb conversations.