02. that's nice

tuesday, october 9th
[12:17]
📍baji's apartment

matsuno chifuyu was peacefully reading his  shoujo manga in baji's room while waiting for the said raven-haired boy to return with his peyoung soba.

chifuyu yawned as he turned a page. he lent this manga to baji awhile ago—which is why he was reading it since he found it on the floor of baji's room. (chifuyu was absolutely distraught when he found it just laying around like that).

chifuyu wasn't one to forget things easily. he was always true to his word. it'd be unlike him if he suddenly forgot to do something or to forget an important date. besides, he was an overall observant person.

except that didn't apply with emails. he applied for a job a couple days ago and completely forgot to check for a response.

chifuyu finished reading a chapter of the manga before putting it down. he quickly marked his spot with a periwinkle blue bookmark kazutora gifted him for his birthday the year before.

he stretched and glanced at his phone, picking it up to check the time. he noticed a few notifications and decided to clear them.

one particular email caught his eye.

baji entered his room, going completely unnoticed by his underclassman. baji took a peek at chifuyu's phone from behind, quickly skimming through the email chifuyu was reading before talking. "you're one of the two applicants? tora and i work there since it's our friend's shop—ooh you got in! that's nice."

chifuyu was in shock to say the least. he knew that his two friends both have part-time jobs but he never knew that they worked together at the near-by pet shop.

he was quite offended that neither of them had informed him about that.

in result, chifuyu gaped at baji. ""thats nice?" is that all you have to say for yourself?"

baji snorts as he shoved some noodles in his mouth. ignoring chifuyu's betrayed tone. "does it look like i have anything else to tell ya? do you want a congratulations? stop being a baby and eat some of the soba before it gets cold!"

chifuyu rolled his eyes and put his phone down. picking up his chopsticks he began to eat the other half of the peyoung soba. a little habit the two of them picked up from middle school.

"when did you get here? i didn't see you come in." chifuyu asked, glancing at baji from the corner of his eye.

baji let out a laugh, "well your eyes were practically glued to your phone screen. in my 7 years of knowing you, i have never seen you so focused."

chifuyu scoffed. baji had no right in saying that since he's basically never focused.

the raven-haired boy looked up from his phone, "besides, didn't you hear me come in? or were you too fixated on whether or not you got in?"

"i guess i didn't hear you." chifuyu replied, taking a sip from the glass of water baji brought with him when he left to fetch the food.

baji shrugged, accustomed to chifuyu zoning out at times. he went on, talking about who knows what. baji changed the topics quite frequently.

mid-rant, chifuyu interrupted baji. "what's it like working there? like...y'know, the atmosphere."

baji deadpanned, clearly offended that chifuyu interrupted his oh so important rant about how he had failed yet another exam and that his teacher was at fault for 'adding shit they never taught us'.