Secret relationship

Start from the beginning

"Few people do," you respond cheekily. "Now come on, you promised me a date."

Across the plaza, Mirabel was staring wide-eyed. That love-struck look-her poor cousin was absolutely smitten.

She got a determined look on her face, pushing up her glasses as she started to rush back to the house. She would help her cousin get together with their crush, it was her duty as both Camilo's friend and family.

A few of the Madrigals were going into town for decorations for Antonio's ceremony, which would take place in a few days. Camilo was excited for his little brother, make no mistake, but he was worried about accidentally running into you while in town and not being able to spend time with you or even properly acknowledge your existence. It made him feel gross inside, not being able to just adore you in the open without fear of Dolores or someone spotting them.

Pepa had a checklist of the things they were still missing, rushing back and forth between shops and stalls. Felix tried his best to soothe his wife's nerves, noticing the cloud forming above the ginger's head.

Dolores noticed her brother looking around anxiously, concluding he was looking for his crush. She wanted to coo, also trying to follow Camilo's eyes in search of this mystery girl.

She heard the slightest intake of breath from her brother, spotting a girl who looked her sibling's age in a pretty blue and yellow dress, the fabric twirling around as the girl herded a group of kids through the streets.

Camilo didn't know you were working today, or he wouldn't have come on the outing with his family. You helped out as a sort of nanny for kids in the village who's parents had to work during the day. It was how you two met, actually, one of the kids recognizing Camilo and rushing over to talk to him, a slightly frazzled you after them.

Now you were here, his family was here, and his sister was looking far too close in your direction for his comfort.

"Hey Mama, I'm pretty sure I saw those streamers you liked over there," Camilo said, tugging on his mother's elbow.

"One second, Camilo. I need to pick out table toppers," she replied, holding up two different patterned fabrics.

A child squealed, and all of a sudden a group of kids were running up to the Madrigals.

"Hey, she can control the weather!"

"I heard he can shapeshift into anything!"

"Sorry!" Your voice sounded, the familiar melody making Camilo's head snap up. "They got really excited, I don't want to..." you trailed off, eyes wide as you made eye contact with Camilo, who shook his head minutely.

"..bother you," you finished.

Dolores was watching the whole exchange with slightly narrowed eyes, fighting the urge to tell her brother to just talk to her already! It was sad, watching him try to conceal his pitifully obvious crush.

While Pepa said hello to the kids and you worked on rounding them back up, Camilo was pointedly looking anywhere but you. Dolores thought she was going to get gray hairs.

Wait till Mirabel and Isabel hear about this, she thought.

Camilo had noticed his family was acting odd when they got back.