Aone Takanobu's Birthday (August 13)

Comenzar desde el principio

Aone let his friend watch as he opened the letter. The handcrafted envelope and matching card inside had teal, white, and black color themes.

Obara came over to look too, and Onagawa stood by while drinking from a water bottle.

"What is it, Aone-san?" the tall first-year setter came to ask excitedly.

"Hey, don't push," Futakuchi grumbled.

The other first-year ran to the manager who'd gotten the rags. "I can help, Nametsu-senpai. I know the spots to clean up," Sakunami offered.

"Thanks, Saku-kun." She gave him one of the old cloths.
The two wiped the floor free of the small puddles of sweat, so it wouldn't become safety hazards during practice. It'd be dangerous if the players slipped during practice.

Aone stared at the front of the card for a solid minute, observing the details of the design.

"Well? Aren't you gonna read what's inside?" Futakuchi pressed.

The middle blocker shot his friend a look, telling him that he's taking his time to appreciate the present.

"Come on, break's going to end soon if you don't hurry," the captain grinned.

"..." He turned back to the paper card in his large hands and finally opened it.

Dear Takanobu-kun,

I know we haven't spoken before. I'm one of the managers for the Karasuno High School Volleyball Club.

Happy birthday.
I hope you have a good day.

—Akatsuki Ai

Underneath the name at the bottom was a phone number.

"From Karasuno's manager, huh?" Futakuchi wondered. "I think I remember someone sitting on the bench with the coaches."

"..."
Somehow, Aone didn't think that she was the manager who had been on the bench. This letter was their first communication with each other. Wouldn't she have said something at the tournament in person if she'd been there on the court?

"Alright, guys! Let get back to it!" Coach Oiwake shouted.

"Yes, sir," the boys dragged.

As Aone turned away from the others, the corners of his lips turned up into a small smile. He was a man of few words, but he had a heart for genuine friendships. The second-year gently placed the envelope on top of his towel for safekeeping and went back to practice.

.

At Karasuno High School
(Miyagi)

Later that day, at the end of practice and when they were all leaving school, Ai got a text from someone expressing his gratitude.

Unknown Number: It's Takanobu. Thanks.

Ai: You're welcome, Takanobu-kun. See you at the Qualifiers, if not sooner.

***

Author's Note:

Happy 2022!!
I hope you had a great start to the new year, and I wish you the best this year!!

Also, happy birthday to Seirin's club advisor, Takeda Kenji! (1/2/2022)

***

Author's Note:

Okay, so Nametsu did go to the Interhigh tournament when Moniwa was still captain, in the manga. But, the anime didn't show it, so I made the mistake 😅
I think I might keep it this way so it's faithful to the anime. (Save time and effort for myself lol.)

)

***

***

Why does Aone "lock on" to the opponent teams' ace?

Total Word Count: 1311