•3•

The musky air of the 3rd floor History classroom distracted Troye from focusing on the lesson, the suffocating feeling making everyone just white noise in the background. A quick glance at the clock told him there was only 10 minutes left until the end of the school day.

“Hey Troye, you get the bus home, right?” Trevor asked as he nudged the younger boy.

“Yeah,” He nodded, “Why?”

“Connor, the Junior you fell into Monday, is gonna’ give me and Kian Lawley a ride home. Kian gets the same bus as you, so I’m sure Connor wouldn’t mind taking you as well.” Trevor explained. Troye nodded even though he barely knew Connor and had only ever heard of Kian. “Great.” Trevor finished the conversation and turned back to the teacher.

Troye swallowed the lump in his throat as he followed Trevor out to the student car park where Connor and Kian would be waiting. He wasn’t sure why he was nervous- maybe it was because he didn’t know Kian, but knew that he was extremely popular and influential; or maybe it was that Connor might refuse to take him home as well; or maybe it was Connor in general. Troye hadn’t been able to stop thinking about him since they met.

“Hey guys,” Trevor said to Connor, Kian and Ricky, bringing Troye out of his thoughts, “Is it alright if you give Troye a lift home as well Connor?” To Troyes surprise, the older boy nodded and said goodbye to Ricky, who walked towards the bus stop, leaving the 4 boys to walk to Connors car.

“So, where do you live?” Connor asked as he slowed down to walk next to Troye.

“Narkel Avenue.” Was the reply, said so Connor could only just hear.

“’Kay. Kian, you get to sit in the back next to Trevor today.” Connor called to the boy walking in front of him. Troye took the time to take in some of the features of Kian that he could see. Bleached blonde hair, a singular earring and was that a tattoo on his arm? As they reached the grey car, Connor unlocked it and Trevor and Kian got in the back seat. Instead of walking around the car to the driver’s seat when they reached it, Connor opened the passenger door. Troye slid into the car, letting his bag lean against his legs as it sat by his feet.

“Thanks.” He blushed slightly, looking up at Connor, who just smiled in response as he closed the door.  He got in the car, started it and they were off.

The car was silent as they pulled out of Trevor’s street, the only noise being the radio softly playing Taylor Swifts ‘Blank Space’.  Unnerved by the lack of conversation and curious about the boy sitting next to one of his best friends, Kian spoke up.

“So Troye, tell us about yourself.”

Troye gulped. “Well, I’m from Australia but I was born in South Africa. And I like to sing and act.” He said.

“That’s so cool!” Kian exclaimed. No one knew if he was being sarcastic or not.

“Yeah,” Connor agreed, “It is pretty cool.” After that, all three of the boys stayed quiet until they pulled up at Kian’s house. He said goodbye and slid out of the car, Connor and Troye saying their goodbyes as well. The car pulled away from the curb and sped off down the road.

“So, how’s school been?” Connor asked as he glanced at Troye.

“It’s been okay. A bit stressful and boring, but that’s school for you.” Troye replied, looking out the corner of his eye at Connor, “How’s it been for you?”

“Eh, kinda hard, but for the most part it’s been okay.” Troye nodded before turning his head to look out of the window.

“Left.” He stated as the car came to a junction. The remaining 10 minutes of the journey was filled with brief instructions such as that and a conversation about vegetables. Both boys were secretly disappointed when they pulled up at Troyes house.