•2•

Connor thought it would be just another Monday when he woke up. Boy was he wrong.

He sauntered into Morgan Blake High School with his best friend Ricky, smiling at and greeting the people he knew. Even people he didn’t know. It was going to be a good day, he could tell. Maybe it was because he managed to get a Starbucks coffee before school. Yeah, that’s probably it, Connor thought as he stopped by his locker to meet up with some of his friends.                                                                                                                   

“Hey Connor.” Trevor smiled at him.                                                                                                       

“Hey Guys!” Connor relied, bouncing on his feet.                                                                             

“Con, what’s wrong? Why are you so happy?” Jc asked, curious as to why the 17 year old was smiling like the Cheshire Cat. The grin didn’t leave his face as he responded.                     

“Nothing’s wrong Justin, I just have a good feeling about today.” He received a glare from Jc when he called him Justin, but ignored it as he walked away.                                                  

“Connor, where are you going?” Ricky called after him.                                                                       

“Mr Walkers’ class. I need to hand in the homework I didn’t do.” And with that he was off

By 3rd period, Connor was sure he was blessed with good luck overnight (I mean, having Starbucks was an effect of the good luck, right?). In Music he had gotten away with not actually doing any work, in Maths they had started looking at Standard Form(which, in Connors’ opinion, was one of  the easiest things ever) and now the English teacher was telling them to just do whatever they wanted - within reason – instead of reading Of Mice And Men. It was all very peculiar.                                                                                           

“Hey Con, you doing anything after school on Friday?” Jc asked, leaning over Martha Jonesel’s desk.                                                                                                                                 

“No,why?”                                                                                                                                                  

“A bunch of us are going to Caspar Lee’s, you wanna come?”                                                                         

“Uh,” Connor hesitated, “I’m not sure. Is it going to be a party or something?”                                                  

Jc let out a laugh. “No, we’re just gonna watch a bunch of Disney movies. Maybe The Maze Runner.” Connor hesitated but eventually nodded. He was about to say something but the bell rang, cutting him off. There was a rush as all 31 students in the class chucked their belongings in their bags and simultaneously moved to the door to their next classes.