[ 𝟑𝟕 ]

People walked around the cafeteria, buzzing around like bees in a beehive. With the chatter here and chatter there, everyone was excited to be back at school. Today was the first day of 9th grade which marked the beginning of my last year of junior high. I held my sky blue lunch bag that had pretty pink flowers on it as I searched for Hendery. When I finally found him, he was sitting with a bunch of other guys. He noticed me and waved as I walked to him.

"Hi Mingxia," Hendery said. "Meet my friends, they're from the basketball team."

I waved to them.

"Guys, this is my girlfriend that I told you about. Her name is Wang Mingxia."

They all greeted me like your normal jocks do. I looked at Hendery who was laughing at a joke the person next to him had made.

"Uh, thanks for introducing me to your friends," I spoke. "I'll go find a seat somewhere else.

Hendery turned around and gave me an apologetic look. I mouthed to him to not worry about it.

Back to square one in the search for a seat.

Not long after I saw a brown-haired girl wave to me. Even though I didn't recognize her at first, I rushed over to an almost empty table and sat down in front of the girl.

"Mingxia! I didn't know you went to this school!" Aeri exclaimed.

"Me neither!" I replied. "Wait no, I do know that I go to this school, I meant that I didn't know you went to this school too! It's so nice to see you again Aeri!"

"Who was that?" Aeri glanced over to Hendery's table.

"Oh, that was my boyfriend. His name is Wong Kunhang but he goes by Hendery."

"So you couldn't find a seat at his table?"

"Yeah," I mentioned. "Well, it's more like I don't want to interrupt his time with his friends. Relationships aren't everything, you know."

Aeri nodded enthusiastically and added, "Well, you get to sit with me now!"

I smiled in agreement and we started eating our lunch while engaging in a conversation.

"So, how are things these days? Do you like this school so far?" I asked.

"Well, it's not bad but honestly there are things in the corner hallway of the first floor that annoys me."

"Ohhh, I know what you mean. Those couples who are always making out and those gangster kids who give out scary glares?"

Aeri nodded and asked, "Do the students ever report them to the principal or other teachers?"

"Yes, we do but they don't care. It's gross but whatever. I just try my best to avoid them but unfortunately, I have math class in that hallway this year."

"Oh, same! What period?"

"1st period, what about you?"

"Same!" We both high-fived enthusiastically. "I guess I didn't notice you today because I'm always so sleepy in the morning."

My heart was filled with happiness knowing that Aeri and I went to the same school. I wouldn't be alone at lunch this year even if Hendery wasn't there.