[ 𝟐𝟔 ]

Students walked around to find seats next to their friends. Many of them talked away while eating their lunch. I was stuck in between a crowd trying to pass through the middle of the cafeteria. Some kids in the front started bickering with each other. A few kids behind them rolled their eyes and avoided the fight to go sit somewhere else. I walked around the side and scanned the room. Hendery waved enthusiastically in the distance. I rushed over to him and sat down.

"How is your day so far?" Hendery asked.

"You know, the usual first week of school," I took a bite from my homemade lunch. "By now, I'm used to junior high."

Hendery nodded in agreement and started eating his lunch from the cafeteria.

"Do you have any goals this year?" I looked at Hendery with a quizzical look and then shrugged.

"I honestly don't know. Do you?"

"I'm thinking of trying out for the basketball team," he said with a cheerful smile.

"That sounds fun," I returned the enthusiasm. "I hope you get in."

"Thanks," he said. "You're getting into art these days, right?"

I nodded and he suggested that I should join the art club.

"Well, I don't think that they have one."

"Oh. I really thought that I heard rumors that they were starting one. They used to have one a few years ago but it shut down because of some protests or something."

"That's weird."

The both of us continued eating in silence.

"What are you thinking about?" Hendery asked.

"Nothing...just got reminded that someone's birthday is coming up..."

He nodded silently. We both knew whose it was.

"Cheer up, I'm sure he's doing fine there and has many friends," Hendery broke the silence.

Deep inside, we both knew that didn't help. But what else could we say?

"I hope he hasn't forgotten us," Hendery and I spoke at the same time and made eye contact. He chuckled at the coincidence which made me smile.

Liu Yangyang, I hope you're doing well in Germany.