[ 𝟐𝟑 ]

"Okay, I'll be heading out now," I informed my mom while finishing up the last bite of my breakfast. Getting out of my chair, I went to the kitchen and placed my plate in the sink.

"Isn't Hendery going to pick you up?" she asked.

"Oh he's already downstairs," I walked to my room, grabbed an item, and came back to the living room.

"He didn't come inside though."

"Ma, I saw him from my window," I mumbled and put on my pastel blue shoes.

"Alright if you say so," my mom said. "Send my best wishes and a farewell to the Liu family."

"I will!"

I hurried outside the door and towards Yangyang's house. No, Hendery wasn't there yet but I wanted to meet Yangyang before he came. My grip on the paper in my hand tightened

You see, I had an important letter for Yangyang.

I had written it last night after I realized that I never told him how I truly felt. I'm sure he always thought that I saw him as a friend but that's not true.

It was more than just friends. It was more than best friends. It's what you would call love.

Stopping in front of a large brown door, I took in some morning air. It was 8 in the morning and the sun had already appeared in the sky. Even the sun wanted to greet Yangyang. I hesitantly knocked on the door and Yangyang's mom greeted me. She led me inside to his room.

"Yangyang, your friend is here," she said. When we heard the door open, Yangyang's mother left.

"Mingxia?" A brown-haired boy popped his head through the door. "Come inside."

He opened the door as I entered. The walls in his room were blank and empty just like the rest of his room. His backpack sat in the corner, packed and ready to go.

I wasn't ready to face the fact that he was going to leave.

"Is Hendery not coming?" Yangyang snapped me out of my thoughts. He gestured for me to sit down next to him.

"He will be coming in a few minutes," I said and sat on the floor. My fingers fidgeted with the corners of the envelope that I held. My eyes glanced back and forth from the letter to Yangyang.

"Actually, I wanted to give you something before you left." I passed the letter to Yangyang without looking at him.

"What is it?" Yanyang raised an eyebrow.

"Just read it."

A few moments passed in silence. There was another knock on the door. Yangyang placed the letter in the front pocket of his backpack and got up to open the door.

"Hey bro."

Hendery and Yangyang shared a hug. They both sat down and Hendery looked at me with a questioning look.

"Mingxia, why did you go without me? I stopped by your house but your mom said you were already gone. She's definitely going to be mad at you because I was supposed to take you here safely."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that. I, uh, I-"

"She really wanted to see me," Yangyang interrupted with a chuckle.

Not entirely a lie.

"That's not true," I looked away.

The door opened revealing Yangyang's mom. She told us that it was time that they would leave for the airport. The three of us walked out of his room and we helped Yangyang place his luggage in the car. Hendery hugged Yangyang once again and I joined in this time. Tears had already started streaming down Hendery's face like a flowing river that would never stop. Eventually, a few droplets of water spilled from my eyes too. Yangyang sniffled a bit from time to time.

"I'll miss you a lot Yangyang," Hendery put out his hand and they did a bro handshake.

Yangayng glanced over at me. Tears trickled down my cheek and slowly landed on the sidewalk. Soon, they would blend in and get absorbed by the concrete. My tears would disappear but I will still remember this moment. Yangyang ruffled my hair and smiled. He wrapped his hands around me. I hugged him back without saying anything and noticed that he was shaking a little bit. I still don't get why he tries to hide his emotions from time to time.

Yangyang sat inside the car and shut the door. He rolled down the window and waved to us with one last smile.

"I'll miss you both a lot," he whispered.

The car drove off into the distance, towards the horizon.

Liu Yangyang, I hope I get to see you again in the future. By then, I hope I have an answer from you.