Father's Birthday

Soon the day had arrived, it was Chen Xi's father's birthday. Though the relationship between Chen Xi and Long Li had improved a lot, there were no signs of war or even death.

"Princess, we have to go!" Lan'er yelled as she rushed into the Dragon Palace.

"Here." Chen Xi said as she handed Lan'er a bag.

"Hold it." she continued.

"What is in here?" Lan'er asked as she opened the bag to take a look at what's inside.

"Red bean buns." Chen Xi said as she got up and brushed the dust off her dress.

"Red bean buns? Why are you bringing red bean cakes back to the Xi Empire?" Lan'er asked as she followed Chen Xi behind.

"I want...." Chen Xi said as her voice soon faded away then replaced with laughter.

The Emperor, Long Li, waited outside of the carriage for Chen Xi. Upon seeing her, he smiled, lended an arm to help her up inside the carriage.

"Are you happy? You're finally returning home." the Emperor asked Chen Xi while standing outside the carriage.

"Of course! I haven't seen Father in a month, I can't wait to see him!" Chen Xi shouted and smiled.

After realizing that the Emperor wasn't coming in, she asked: "Are you not coming with me?"

"No, I am the Emperor. I can't leave my nation, there is no one to replace me if I leave." the Emperor replied.

Chen Xi's smile faded away.

"Hey, I'll be here when you come back." the Emperor said as he touched Chen Xi's cheeks.

The carriage started to move and the Emperor waved away. Chen Xi continued to stare at the Emperor until he couldn't be seen anymore.

A few hours later, Chen Xi arrived back at the Xi Empire. Chen Xi looked out the carriage and saw the vast grassland of the Xi Empire, it was different from the Long Empire, where the whole city had tall buildings. There was a sound of a falcon and Chen Xi looked up to the sky, there she saw Momo.

"Stop the carriage." Chen Xi told the coachman.

The carriage came to a stop and Chen Xi got off the carriage. When she stepped down the carriage, Chen Xi let out an arm and Momo flew down and landed on her arm.

"Long time no see." Chen Xi said to Momo as she petted her.

"Xi'er!" a voice in front of her shouted.

Chen Xi turned her head and saw her family: Her Father, Mother, Eldest Brother, Second Brother and her Younger Sister. Chen Xi gave the signal for Momo to fly away and then ran towards her family. She then hugged them and smiled.

"Is the Emperor treating you badly?" Chen Xi's Mother asked.

"No, he's treating me very well. You don't have to worry about me." Chen Xi said as she took her Mother's hands and tightly held it.

"Let's go back. Your Mother has prepared your favorite dishes tonight." Chen Xi's Father said.

Chen Xi smiled and said: "Mother treats me the best."

"You." Chen Xi's Mother said as she touched Chen Xi's nose.

Chen Xi smiled and the family walked back to the Palace to have their dinner. After dinner, they held a campfire, everyone, the nobles, the people all participated. Chen XI stood behind and watched everyone dance around the campfire.

"Is everything all right, Chen Xi?" Chen Xi's Eldest Brother asked.

Chen Xi smiled and said: "It's been a long time since I saw this, it is very different from the Long Empire."

"You're free to visit us anytime. Our doors are always open for you, you know that right?" he continued.

Chen Xi nodded her head and saw her younger sister, Chun Xi handing out honey candy to the kids.

"Seeing this scene makes me miss the old days. I remember how you will always bring us candy when we ride our horse in the grasslands." Chen Xi said.

"We can't go back to them anymore, it's too late. We all have our own duties, now those are our priority."

The smile on Chen Xi's faded.

"Get some sleep, you have to get up early tomorrow for Father's Birthday." Chen Xi's Eldest Brother, Jiang Xi said as he walked away.

Chen Xi looked at the crowd who all had smiles on their faces. She stared at them for a few more minutes then walked away to her chambers to end her day.

The next day, everyone in the nation woke up early to celebrate the King's Birthday. The celebration was very different to those in the Long Empire. There were no halls where only the higher ups were able to join the party, instead the people of the Xi Empire gathered in a large circle, cheered and danced.

"Princess, come and join us!" a little girl said as she held out her arm.

Chen Xi grabbed her arm and came to the middle of the circle and danced.

By the end of the day, everyone was exhausted so they retreated to their own houses.

"Father, I'm going back now. Take care of yourself and Mother." Chen Xi said as she held her Father's hand.

"Don't worry about us, you should take care of yourself." Chen Xi's Father said.

"I'm doing very well, he treats me very well."

"Sister, here take this." Xuan'er said as she handed Chen Xi a necklace.

"This is..?"

"I made it with the girls in the village, it's a gift."

"Hmh." Chen Xi's father said as he left.

Chen Xi looked at her Father's back and told Xuan'er: "Don't mind Father. Thank you."

"It's nothing different." Xuan'er said.

Chen Xi continued to exchange goodbyes with her family until it was time for her to leave. She got on the carriage, looked out the window and said: "Come visit me in the Long Empire!"

"We will." voices said back as her carriage started to walk away.

They waved to each other until they couldn't see the carriage anymore.