Lantern Festival

The next day was a busy day, the maids in the palace were running around trying to put the lanterns in the hallway.

"Princess?" Lan'er asked as she saw Chen Xi staring at some maids putting some lanterns on the wall.

Chen Xi turned around and asked: "What are they doing?"

"Today is the Lantern Festival, I asked the maids and they said it's a tradition they do here."

"Lantern Festival?"

"They also said they light lanterns and put fireworks in the night time. We should go out and see it."

"Is it allowed?"

"Of course, the other concubines go out with the Emperor. We can go with the second prince and explore the city more!" Lan'er said excitedly.

"Let's do that." Chen Xi said as she smiled.

Later in the night, Chen Xi wore the new clothes her brother brought from the Xi Empire and walked out to celebrate the festival. As the three of them walked out and explored the city, a vendor shouted: " HEY YOU GUYS!"

Chen Xi turned around and saw the vendor waving his hands at them.

"Second brother, it looks like the vendor wants to tell us something." Chen Xi said.

They walked towards the vendor and he said: "Are you guys not from here?"

Jing Xi nodded his head and said: "We happened to pass by and saw the liveliness so we decided to join."

"Ahhhh then you don't know the tradition. See --" the vendor said as he pointed to everyone.

"We wear masks, it's a great way for two people to come together. Here purchase a mask." the vendor said as he showed them the masks on display.

They each took a mask and wore it, Chen Xi wore a light pink mask that matched the dress she was wearing. Jing Xi wore a black mask and Lan'er wore a white one.

"Here, keep the change." Jing Xi said as he put the money on the table.

"Thank you, thank you." the vendor said.

"You guys should also go to the main street, the fun is all there!" the vendor continued happily.

They then made their way to the main street.

"Second brother, can I have some money? I want a lantern." Chen Xi said.

Jing Xi handed Chen Xi some money and said: "I'm staying here to see the fireworks. Don't go too far, if you get lost find the bridge."

Chen Xi nodded her head and she went to a shop to buy a lantern. A white rabbit lantern caught her eye so she automatically picked it up and gave the vendor some money. Like everyone else who had a lantern, she went to a nearby river and placed the lantern in the river.

"Let everyone be safe." Chen Xi said as she put her hands together.

A voice behind her snickered so she turned around and saw a guy with a gold mask laughing at her.

"What's so funny?"

"Your wish." the mysterious guy said.

"There is no peace in the world." he continued.

"How do you know?"

"The people of the Long Empire fought for more than 5 years for peace, but peace doesn't last long."

"How do you know so much?"

"That's because I'm the Em-" the guy said as his voice slowly faded.

"Huh, what did you say?"

"I'm a scholar."

"If so, that means you don't know everything. My hometown is small but people there are happy, there has been no war since I was borned." Chen Xi said.

The guy laughed then asked: "Then where are you from?"

"I'm from -------" Chen Xi said.

As Chen Xi said "the Xi Empire" firework exploded and the sky became colorful.

Chen Xi looked at the sky and said: "They're beautiful."

During the firework show, the guy stared at her face the whole time. Chen Xi had a big smile across her face and his heart started to beat very fast. When the firework show was over, the guy asked: "What's your name?"

Chen Xi turned back and said: "Xi'er"

"Xi'er?"

Chen Xi nodded her head.

"This isn't a common name."

"I was never someone common to begin with." Chen Xi.

"Shoot, I need to go."Chen Xi said as she started to run away.

"XI'ER!" the guy called out to her.

Chen Xi ran to the bridge and saw her second brother and Lan'er waiting on the bridge for her. She walked on the bridge and they walked back to the palace happily.