Midnight Meeting

As night fell, Chen Xi sat on the swing outside of the Peony Palace.

"Princess, it's getting chilly, do you want me to get a jacket for you?" Lan'er asked.

Chen Xi nodded her head and said: "Can you bring some honey candy too?"

"Sure." Lan'er said as she walked away.

"Consort Xi." a voice said.

Chen Xi looked at the gate of the Peony Palace and saw the Emperor walking in. The Emperor was wearing black colding with a gold coat over it.

"Did Your Majesty just come from the court?" Chen Xi asked as she got up and bowed.

"Forget it. What did I tell you to call me this morning?" the Emperor said.

"Long Li..." Chen Xi said slowly.

The Emperor took the seat next to her and Lan'er came out with a tray of honey candy.

"Princess..." Lan'er said as she dropped the tray.

"Are you okay? Did you get hurt anywhere?" Chen Xi said as she scanned Lan'er's arms.

"No, I'm not hurt. What is he doing here?" Lan'er asked Chen Xi as she pointed to the Emperor.

"He came here to see me. Do you still hate him?" Chen Xi asked.

'Not just hate. I want to kill him." Lan'er said.

The Emperor coughed and Chen Xi told Lan'er: "Don't worry, nothing is going to happen to me. You should get some rest, I'll clean this up."

"No, how can I let you clean this up?"

"Are you questioning my decisions? Are you the princess now?" Chen Xi asked Lan'er.

"No, no."

"Then listen to me and get some rest."

Lan'er nodded her head and started to walk away. As she walked away she looked back to Chen Xi and the Emperor.

"Here let me help you." the Emperor said as he started to pick up the pieces.

"No, let me do it. You're the Emperor of the kingdom, you can't do this lowly stuff."

"You're going to be the Empress of this Empire soon and you're still here doing things a maid should do."

Chen Xi chuckled then smiled. Soon there was only one last candy on the floor, Chen Xi reached out to the candy, at the same time, the Emperor did too. Their hands touched and they turned to each other and laughed. After they finished cleaning up, Chen Xi asked the Emperor: "Have you ever tried these honey candies?"

"Of course, aren't these your favorite?"

Chen Xi smiled and said: "Wait here, I'll go get some new ones."

Chen Xi walked away with the tray and the Emperor sat on the swing and smiled. Soon later Chen Xi came back with two new pieces of candy and gave one to the Emperor. The Emperor put the candy in his mouth and said: "They're so good and sweet."

"Of course, my mother makes the best honey candies."

"Do you ever miss your home?"

"Of course, I miss my Father and my Mother."

There was silence until the Emperor said: "My parents passed away when I was very young, my grandmother looked after me my whole life, I owe her a lot."

"You can always repay her." Chen Xi said.

"Don't you hate her?"

"Hate her? Why will I hate her?"

"She always...nevermind."

"Long Li, look, this is the Big Dipper and that star is...." Chen Xi said before stopping abruptly.

"What's wrong?"

"I felt like I said that somewhere but I don't remember where."

"That's in the past, the past is in the past, look forward to the future." the Emperor said.

Chen Xi smiled and nodded her head.

"Continue on what you were saying before."

"Look, this is the Big Dipper." Chen Xi said as she traced the star out in the sky to show the Emperor.

The night ended and their laughter could be heard in the entire Peony Palace.