⤜Chapter-13⤛

The stones on the stone pavement that led to the castle were shaped as small hexagons

The stones on the stone pavement that led to the castle were shaped as small hexagons. During the day, they were the usual grey in colour, however, they glowed silver in the presence of moonlight. It was currently two in the afternoon, and I was walking on the pavement after nineteen months.

I look in front of me and find all the servants and guards whispering amongst themselves, giving me cautious looks, every now and then.

The guards at the front gate bow down after opening the door.

"Welcome back, princess."

I give them a curt nod as I finally step on the marble floor. I walk up the spiral staircase. I run my hand over the cool marble rail, carefully, studying the designs.

I reach the first floor and find a familiar face waiting for me near a vase. She was the one who had helped me survive the sixteen years of my life in the suffocating smell of white jasmine and these fluffy silver carpets. She was my handmaid, for as long as I could remember.

She looks up at me and her eyes immediately glisten.

"Maisy!", I exclaim, and I run into her arms. She hugs me back, patting my back slowly.

"Oh neonata, look at you!", she pulls apart and kisses my forehead. "I hope the outside world didn't treat you too bad", she signs as she runs her hand over the scars and cuts on my arms.

"I'm alright, Maisy! I missed you so much.", I hug her once again.

She smiles at me, lovingly. Then, she frowns. "You'll leave soon, won't you?"

"I'm afraid so. But I will be fine, I promise."

"I know. You're not the little girl you were anymore. You're grown up now. But Cassia, remember this, always. You can always come home, whenever you want to."

"I will.", I say, looking at her meaningfully.

"Wait, did you mean, I'm your...? Aw come here.", she pulls me into another hug.

After a while, she lets me go.

"Your mother would be in the throne room. I'll take you to her."

I nod at her as I follow her through the familiar pale silver and cinereous walls.

After a few lefts and rights, we reach a large silver door, three times the size of all others, going straight up to the ceiling.

"Should I come in with you?", she asks.

"No, that's alright."

I take a deep breath. "I'm about to enter," I tell Merida through my thoughts.

"All the best. I will send Bette in, after seven minutes," her faint thoughts come back.

I knock on the large door, and they open themselves magically.