Samhain

October 31, 1991
~Lucia~

Today's the day, it's officially Samhain

Today's the day, it's officially Samhain. Tonight Draco, Severus, and Narcissa would be coming to partake in the ceremony. I sighed sadly as I put on the dress robes that I laid out last night. Tonight was not only Samhain, but also the anniversary of Mum and James' deaths.

I don't know how I'm feeling I wanna cry and shout, but I can't, that would be improper. I barely had the energy to fix my hair, but I did it anyways because, as Gram Rosemary always says, a powerful witch is as beautiful as she is dangerous. With her words in mind I angrily run the brush through my hair.

"Knock knock," I heard a solemn voice say. "Hi father," I said sadly. "Ah, I know it's a sad day, but how about we put on a little smile huh," he suggested. I shook my head, "Smiling won't bring her back." He sighed taking over the brushing for me. "Now shall we do a bun or how about a pretty braid?" He asked. "Just leave it down," I cried.

"Hey look at me," Dad said. I slowly turned towards him, "I know you're sad, we're all upset, but you have to be strong okay because Malfoys don't cry." I nodded. "Now come, we shan't keep Harry waiting," he said holding a hand out for me. I took it forcing a pitiful smile on my face. "And you know Draco, Sev, and Cissy are going to be coming along with Madame Meredith, Zoella, Saphira, and Garrison it should be a peaceful night," he said as we descended the staircase.

"What about  Lady Alessia?" I asked. "Not this year, you know how hard it's been for her, her father just died last week she's just not ready yet," He explains. I nodded again. It's disappointing that Lady Alessia can't make it, she was Mum's best friend, however, I know that she would make it if she could and she'll save an extra prayer for Mum as will I for her father.

•••

In the foyer I spotted Harry sitting on the stairs in what looks like the ugliest red and gold muggle suit. Dad and I shared a look at this. Samhain is a wizarding holiday. This means it should be treated with a certain amount of class. Wizards and witches are to wear black dress robes not red or gold.

"I hope you don't mind, I chose a different suit," Harry said sheepishly. "It's a nice suit," I lied, "doesn't quite match the occasion though." "What do you mean?" Harry asked. "Well usually we wear black dress robes on Samhain out of respect for the dead," I explained. "Oh," he said blushing.

"It's fine, that's an easy fix," I said, "now why'd you change the robes?" I asked. "They were kinda big," he admits. Dad summoned the robes and shrank them to fit him better, "that should fix it," he said. Harry thanked him and then the three of us enjoyed a simple meal together. I couldn't help but smile at how far Harry has come. How accepting he's been even though this is all new for him.

•••

After days of planning and preparing the Samhain feast was about to start. Guests were already starting to trickle into the manor and the atmosphere was changing to become increasingly more formal by the second. Cissy was already here happily talking to dad and some of their old friends.  I would join them, but I chose to stay with Harry as, after all, it's his first Samhain.

"Mistress Evans, Young Master Malfoy be here with Master Snape," Misty announced before popping away. I turned to Harry, "You don't have to come if you don't want to, but it is rather rude to hide away when there's guests," I told him as I stood up brushing my robes off. "I do hope you come down at some point before the rituals officially start," I said. "I'll try," he said. I nodded and left to go great my other brother and god father.

•••

As the last guest came in it was time for the rituals to start. Harry did end up coming down minutes before the start which was a pleasant surprise as I thought he would isolate himself from the rest of us. Thankfully I was wrong.

Once Harry warmed up to everyone he was surprisingly pleasant to be around. He participated in all the rituals (with some help of course) , sang the songs with us, danced with us (clumsily), and even mourned with us. He was even nice to Draco and Sev. Okay so nice is a strong word, he was more civil than nice. Either way that still counts for something.

Over all it was a success. These last few days with Harry were actually quite enjoyable. It was strange because all this time I thought he'd hate me. I thought he'd pick fights with everyone spreading his idiocy all over the manor. However; he proved me wrong, and I've never been more happy to be wrong in my life.

I just hope this new Harry Potter will last when we return to Hogwarts. I would hate for my last link to my mum to hate me all over again after I tried so hard to gain his trust. For now I'll wait, patience is a virtue. If Harry decides he no longer likes me when we go back then that's his loss, I'll have Draco and if Harry become's a prat then Draco is all I really need. Still I hope that it won't come to that.