First day

September 7, 1991
~Lucia~

It was officially the first day of classes and everyone was excited

It was officially the first day of classes and everyone was excited. "First class is Defense Against the Dark Arts," Blair said gazing at her timetable. "With Lockhart?" I asked. She nodded. "Ugh," I groaned. I hated that git. "He can't be so bad," Marcus said. "Oh he can definitely be so bad," I said.

"Maybe he'll be a good teacher, he was a Ravenclaw," Blair said. "I still say he was a squib who snuck his way in," I said biting into a strawberry. "That's ridiculous," Cyrus argued. "Sometimes people do ridiculous things," I countered. "She's not wrong," Blair agreed. Suddenly the food disappeared and we all got up. "Guess we'll see how ridiculous he is," Marcus said as we walked to class.

•••

"Today we are learning about a very important and influential person, some might even call him a hero," Lockhart said. Here comes stupid. "Me!" He finished. Stupid came. "Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, third class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five time winner of the Witch Weekly Most Charming Award," He introduced.

I watched in disgust as all the girls, excluding Blair, fawned over him. Seriously he's not even pureblood! "Now today we'll have a quiz but don't worry, if you read my books it should be relatively easy," he said. He passed the quizzes out and I scoffed in disbelief. It was all about him. What type of idiot assigns a test all about them when we literally just met?! Seriously his favorite color? His favorite flower?! What type of hero has a favorite flower?!

"What does your favorite color have to do with defense?" I asked before I could stop myself. "You have 30 minutes, the quiz begins now," he said ignoring my question. "This is so stupid," I whispered to Blair. "It's also part of our grade, we should probably start," she whispered back. I did start and the questions were ridiculous. I could already tell I'd hate this class.

What is my favorite color?  Don't know, don't care.
When is my birthday? The day you were born.
How did I defeat the Hungarian Horntail? You bored it to death.
What is my greatest ambition? To get a life.
What is your favorite thing about me? That you're old as shit and probably dying soon.
What is my only flaw? You have several. You're ugly, annoying, aggravating, arrogant, and foolish. You're a fraud. Everybody hates you. You're an incompetent fool. You have the attention span of a five year old with the face of a 70 year old hag.
Why did I start writing books about how I saved the world? So you could pretend to be a hero.
What is one thing everyone loves about me? When you leave the room.
What's the best thing about a conversation with me? When it's over.

"Tests up everybody!" Lockhart called as I finished one of the last questions. "That's it, pass them up," he said. I passed mine to the person in front of me who laughed as he read one of my answers. "Best answers ever," he said. "What did you do?" Blair asked accusingly. "Me? Nothing," I said innocently. "Ciaaaa," Blair said. "I did nothing bad," I said. "Did you do something?" She asked. I just smirked. "Seriously, it's the first day," she said. "And I already hate him," I agreed.

"Miss Evans! I am not single because I'm an ugly and annoying oaf that everyone hates! I'm single because everyone loves me so much it's selfish to hurt their feelings by dating!" He said. "You know what,... I still don't care," I said. "Ten points from Slytherin," He said. "But Mr. Flint knew that I started writing so I could teach people how to be at least half as good at fighting as I am," he said. I rolled my eyes. Of course he did. "20 points Slytherin," He announced.

As usual Marcus made up for all the points I lost. It's what made us close. I lose points he gains them. I mouth off to a teacher, he gets me out of detention, then we snog on the bleachers and scar my brother for life.

But don't be fooled, Marcus might not be trouble, but if you mess with people he cares about he might kill you. He is very loyal to his friends and family. He always protects them. He always protects me. Just like how I'd protect him. Forever and always.