Prologue

October 29, 1980
Lily

In Godric's Hollow I sat with my husband, and our son Harry

In Godric's Hollow I sat with my husband, and our son Harry. That was before we got a knock on the door. "Lily don't open it," James said. "James it's probably Iris, I'm not letting my almost 4 year old daughter wait outside alone," I told him. "What would Iris be doing here, her father hates me?" James asked.

It was true that Lucius was still a little sour towards James, not only because he was a muggleborn but also because he blamed James for our marriage ending. Not that either of us cared about our marriage. We were best friends, there was no love in it.

You see, I'm a pureblood witch and one of the sacred 48. I was expected to marry another pureblood. Originally it was to be a pureblood of my choosing, but after I got Gryffindor my parents decided I couldn't be trusted with such a responsibility. They married me off to Lucius Malfoy as soon as I graduated, and as expected we had an heir, Iris Lucia Grace Malfoy-Evans.

That all changed when I finally re-met James 3 years later. Sirius set us up believing I'd be happier with him. I was, I started smiling more and I even introduced him to Iris. It wasn't until later that I broke things off with Lucius and went to marry James.

I made an arrangement with Lucius, Iris would stay with Lucius and his new wife then I'd get occasional visits from her. It was a horrible arrangement, but it was for the best as Iris wasn't safe with me.

I married James at a small wedding with only the order members. James helped me see that muggles were far from the insipid and incompetent creatures I was taught about. About a year after our marriage I joined the Order of Phoenix. I'd never tell Lucius, but when Iris came over, I'd let her hangout with children such as the Weasleys and Nymphadora Tonks.

My most recent development happened just 10 months ago, the birth of my son Harry. James and I finally had something that was ours. I loved Iris and so did James, but she wasn't his and I barely got to see her. Harry was the child I was able to raise with James which leads us to this moment.

"Mummy!" She squealed once I opened the door. "Hello love, how was Daddy and Cissy?" She asked. "Good, guess what!" She said. "What?" I asked leading her inside. "I'm big sister now!" She shouts. "You already were, we had Harry remember," James said. "Yeah, I have brudder that lives with me," she said. "Hi Harry," she said to the baby. She then jumped onto the couch and said, "Babies are boring." We laughed and I helped her bring her stuff to her room.

•••

It's been two days and the kids were now long asleep when the window the wards alerted us someone was coming. "Take the kids and leave," James whispered to me. I didn't have to be told twice, I rushed to Harry's room as it would be easier to bring him to Iris's room.

Before I could get to Iris the door opened. "Stand aside silly girl, you don't have to get hurt," Voldemort said. "Leave, I won't let you hurt him," I said. "I killed your husband, what's to stop me from killing everyone else in this house?" He asked. "Well I won't let you touch Harry and as for Iris, I'm not sure how much Lucius will appreciate it if he finds that you, his dark lord, killed his daughter," I said icily.

"You're nothing but a blood traitor, AVADA KEDAVRA!" He aimed at Harry but I was the one on the floor. Harry was still in his own little world and Voldemort turned to ash. I'm not dead yet, I need to tell Lucius. I know Albus has plans, I don't want my children involved with this.

"No, Lily! James!" It was Sirius. He wasn't close enough to hear me so I didn't talk as he left. "Lily!" It was Severus this time. He came in and I forced my self awake as he knelt down.

"Sev," I whispered. "Lily," he cried. "I'm dying," I said. "No," he cried. "Please... bring... Iris ... Lucius... Harry," I whispered and then it went dark. "Mummy?" It was Iris. "Iris?" Sev asked. Did she see that? She saw me? "Why'd she fall asleep?" The girl asked. "I dunno," Sev lied. "Mummy wake up," the girl said. "Iris, we have to go pack," Sev said. "Why?" She asked. "We're going to your father's," He said. Then it was quiet.

•••

Severus

I knew what I had to do, I walk Iris to her room immediately. "Let's go flower, we have to pack," I said. "Uncle Sev, what's going on with Mummy?" She asked sleepily. "Come on, we need to get out of here," I said to her. "Need to ge' 'arry an Iris for Dumbledore," I heard the unmistakable voice of Hagrid.

I knew it was too late to get Harry, but no way was I going to fail both Lily and Lucius. If I couldn't save her son I would make damn sure that the daughter of my current and former best friends would be safe.

"Let us pack your things," I said to her. "What about Mummy?" She asked. "Your mum gonna meet us at your father's manor," I lied packing the last toy and family picture in her bag. "Snape!" Hagrid bellowed as Iris and I reach the door.

"Step aside Hagrid," I said. "I need to take her to her Aunt, Dumbledores orders," he said as if I was supposed to care. "And why would I let you do that?" I asked lifting the girl up and holding her to my chest. "Uncle Sev are we going to Daddy?" She mumbled. "Go to sleep Iris, I am going to take you to your Father," I said.

"I can't let you do that," Hagrid said. "Why not?" I ask. "Dumbledore-" "This has nothing to do with Dumbledore, Lucius is her father, her last living parent so until you can present a real reason for her to be kept away from him she will be staying there," I said. "Dumbledore said-" "I will talk to the old fool myself once Iris is safe with her father," I argued. That was my final argument before I brought the girl to Malfoy Manor.

•••

"Severus? What are you doing here?" Narcissa asked. I didn't speak I just put Iris on the couch. "Severus?" Lucius asked coming down the stairs with Draco. "I know you intended for the girl to stay with Lily for another week, but there's a slight change of plans," I said. "At 2 in the morning?" Lucius asked placing his daughter's head on his lap.

I sighed. "The Dark Lord was defeated tonight after a killing curse rebounded off of Harry," I explained. The two were shocked. "Lily and James died protecting both children, one of Dumbledore's goons took Harry, but I wouldn't let them take her too," I explained. "Thank you Severus," Lucius said. "Of course," I said before apparating to Hogsmeade where I knew Albus would be waiting.

I knew he would be furious that I took his potential pawn to live with Lucius. I knew he would hackle me for it. I even knew that I was probably messing up his whole "greater good" plan. I knew all these things, but in all honesty I didn't care.

As long as at least one of those kids was out of his grasp it would be worth it and I couldn't give up until Harry was safe from him as well. No matter how long it took I wouldn't let Harry fall for one his ridiculous schemes. Not for me, but for the kids and especially for Lily.