Reunion

October 27, 1991
~Lucia~

The last few nights were awkward as it was the first few nights here with Harry

The last few nights were awkward as it was the first few nights here with Harry. He was getting used to staying in a proper pureblood household, and we were getting used to hosting him.

So far the environment was as hostile as one would expect. Harry would constantly pick fights with the portraits or upset the house elves no matter how often I tried to stop him. Keeping him in line was proving to be harder than I originally thought.

"Must you always pick fights with everything?" I asked. "I thought Dumbledore said my dad came from a good light family," Harry complained. I rolled my eyes, of course Dumbledore told Harry his dad was a pureblood while his mum was muggleborn. What a misogynist!

"Your dad wasn't from a wizarding family, he was muggleborn, Mum was a pureblood witch from a dark family," I explained. "But Dumbledore s-" "Dumbledore lied, I know my mum's heritage like the back of my hand, this is her family home," I cut him off.

"Then where's her portrait?" He asked. "Do you want to see her portrait?" I asked. He nodded. "Follow me then," I instructed. I lead him too my mum's old room where her portrait along with Gram Rosemary's portrait would be.

"Mum I have someone for you to meet," I say. "Oh this is the halfbreed troublemaker I've heard about," Gram Rosemary said. "He might be halfbreed, but he's still my son," Mum said, "Thank you sweet girl for bringing him." "Of course, I'll see you later Mum," I dismiss myself as I leave the room.

•••

Harry and Mum deserve some alone time, Merlin knows they need it. I know if I were them I'd want to spend some time alone to catch up. Besides, this might be exactly what Harry needs to accept the fact that not all Slytherins are bad. To accept the fact that I am his sister and I am a pureblood who believes in tradition, and that's okay.

The light side wishes to scrap all the magical traditions to make it more familiar for muggleborns. They label the traditions as evil and racist, but the traditions aren't racist, it's the blood supremacy that's racist. The traditions are sacred. And to disregard such traditions as giving back to magic or honoring our dead family members in exchange with petty muggle holidays is stupid.

We aren't muggles, we're magicals, and muggleborns are magicals too. Instead of coddling them we should teach them to embrace our traditions and understand our culture because like it or not it's their culture too.

Is it really racist to think that muggleborns should be taught to celebrate wizarding history and culture, I don't think so. After all they are wizards themselves. Yet, whenever I point that out light wizards gasp like I've offended someone.

•••

Just like I'd hoped, some time with our mother calmed Harry down. He finally realized how irrational he was being. His heavy scrutiny of everything that went on in this household was replaced with mild curiosity, and a stoic expression took the place of his usual disgusted glare.

He practically shocked dad, who was expecting the same old impertinent and ignorant Harry Potter, at dinner tonight with his lack of insults and assumptions.

"So father how was work?" I asked, equally shocked. "It was dreadful, the Hogwarts committee once again declined my bill to teach muggleborns about Samhain," he answered. "What?! Do they want more mudbloods in Britain?" I asked shocked. "Dumbledore claims that Halloween is a more inclusive holiday, and to celebrate that is more welcoming to muggleborns," Father shook his head.

"What's wrong with Halloween?" Harry asked. "It's nothing wrong with Halloween, it's just not a proper holiday, Samhain is about honoring our dead ancestors. It's about how we honor our family magics, Halloween is nothing but the cheapened muggle version," I explained. "Honor dead relatives, like my parents?" Harry asked. "Precisely," Dad answered. "That's why I come home every Samhain, so I don't have to partake in the undeniable disrespect that is the Hogwarts Halloween feast," I said.

"Is Draco still coming for Samhain?" I asked. "He'll be there with Severus on the night to partake in the ceremony," Father said. "Snape?!!!" Harry shouted. "My godfather, Mum's best friend of course he's attending," I said, dismissing Harry's petty rivalry.

The remainder of dinner was filled with peaceful conversation between my father and I as Harry chimed in where he saw fit. It wasn't perfect, but it was a definite improvement from the past few meals. As dinner passed by I couldn't help but wonder if this is what it would've been like if Harry had stayed with us like he was supposed to.

Would we be a perfect family of five sat around the table for evening meals? Would he have attempted to threaten my boyfriend on our first date like Draco did? Would we celebrate his Hogwarts letter by going to Florean Fortescue's together like Draco and I did? Would he still be in Gryffindor if he was living with us? Would he be more happy then he is with the muggles?

But I'd never know the answers, because the reality is he doesn't live with us, he lives with a muggle and a squib, and I can't change that. I can, however; help Harry realize that magic is all, and the significance of honoring our magic. I know I can help him, and I won't stop until I do because the future of our work depends on it.