My Other Left Foot [5]

Start from the beginning

"I can sample the frosting on a cake without leaving a fingerprint,"

"Wow. This is, um...gonna sound terrible, but...I hope whatever you're investigating is...is tied to Tom,"

"Why?"

"Then I wouldn't need to make up an excuse to see you,"

***

Gibbs and Kate walked out of the house.

"You weren't buying any of that, were you?" Kate wondered about the flirting she had overheard between the two.

"Any of what?" Gibbs asked.

"You know...her...charm,"

"Is it really that hard to believe, Kate, that I might be attractive to a woman?"

"That's not what I meant," Kate argued.

"You find us anything to get us a search warrant?"

Kate sighed "Well, she told you that she lives alone, but the toilet seat was up in the downstairs bathroom,"

"Oh." Gibbs laughed. "You can tell that one to the judge,"

"Okay, well, Abby and Caly found a piece of straw in Dorn's sock, and there is a barn around the back. Okay. I found nothing to give us probable cause,"

"Maybe I did," Gibbs said as he knelt down to pick up something.

***

"Question." Gibbs asked Abby back in her lab "Can you match DNA from trees like you can with humans?"

"Absolutely," Abby replied. "Plant DNA, like human DNA, is unique to each plant, so you can distinguish one sycamore tree from another,"

"Okay. Try matching these...to the seed we found in Dorn's boot," Gibbs handed over the evidence bag from Melissa's house.

"Is the other sample from another location?"

"No. The same tree,"

"So you want me to run the test twice?"

"Yeah," Gibbs nodded "Okay, how long before you have something on both samples?"

"Depends on whether or not you want it fast or you want it right,"

"Both. Hmm. Gonna need some extra manpower,"

"I'll send Cal down with an extra Caf Pow,"

"That brings it to six hours,"

Gibbs nodded "Clock's ticking, Abs,"

***

"Six-letter word for a reason to commit a crime?" Tony said in the bullpen. "Come on, don't tense up. Starts with 'M',"

"Murder," Kate replied.

"Motive," Caly voiced.

"Murder is a motive," Kate argued.

"What do you have?" Gibbs asked the team.

"A six-letter word for a reason to commit a crime," Tony said.

"DiNozzo,"

"That's seven letters,"

"Works for me," Cal smirked.

"What have you got?" Gibbs repeated.

"PFC Dorn...purchased a term policy for three-quarters of a million two months before his heart attack in Harmony. The beneficiary is his only living relative,"