VI

.

.

.

You were trying to steady your shaky hands as you held the loaded gun. You could feel the tears in your eyes and a lump in your throat.

"Fire!" A voice said over the speakers, directing you and a few other girls within the sound-proof room to shoot at the targets on the wall. 

You pulled the trigger twice, missing both times.

You took off your safety goggles and turned around. Your eyes met with the woman behind the glass window above you. She had a cold stare and disappointed expression painted across her wrinkled face.

You took a deep breath, putting your goggles back on and pointing the barrel towards the target.

You squeezed your eyes closed as a loud gunshot set off.

~Later~

You were sitting in the hall with your face in your hands trying to shake off the embarrassment and anxiety.

The woman from before was walking towards you, her heels clacking against the tile floor. She grabbed the back of your shirt and yanked you up, "What the hell was that? You call that shooting!? Well I have a news flash for you little girl," she snarled. 

You winced and tried to cower away from her.

"You won't be shooting at targets forever." 

This made your eyes go wide in horror. You didn't want to kill anybody. "No! Please!" You cried.

"No! Please!"

You woke up gasping for air and clutching at the sheets on the hospital bed. As you quickly sat up, you saw a man sitting in a chair right next to you. 

He had medium length brown hair and entrancing eyes, but what you really couldn't help but notice was the metal in place of his left arm.

You steadied your breathing, trying not to show any signs of weakness, but he didn't seem to be a threat.

He was holding a book that had the words "The Hobbit" on the front cover and tried giving you an awkward smile. 

"You're awake."

You furrowed your brows as he just sat there awkwardly staring at you like he knew you. 

"Can I help you?" You said in a slightly sleepy voice. 

He sighed, "No. But, I might be able to help you."

You already had so many questions and every second you stayed in this damn building more arose. 

"Where am I?" You asked as you straightened your posture.

"Avengers facility. The Avengers, they're-"