I

.

.

.

Present Day

You were laying on your back staring up at the ceiling. Sleep was an unobtainable luxury in times like these. A blanket was spread flawlessly across your body, not a wrinkle in sight. An eerie perfection. 

You stayed especially still. The only motion that existed was the blinking of your eyelids. You could hear low whispers outside of your room. 

"She needs to undergo the procedure. She's starting to remember things," A man with a strong Russian accent said.

Just then, a sharp throb erupted inside your head before diminishing to nothing but a foggy scene. 

"Please, Mama! I don't want to go to bed," A small girl with dirty blonde hair whined. She had a death grip on a small stuffed bear and was wearing a matching set of blue and white striped pajamas. 

A woman with her long brown hair tied up in a braid made her way over to the child and knelt down to her level. "милый, I need you to go to bed. We have a busy day tomorrow."

The girl pouted and tears glossed over her eyes as her mother stood up. "Off with you now." She sulked and walked off to her room, cuddling the small bear in her arms. 

Then there was an older blue-haired girl, her red roots showing. She began washing off a few dishes and cups without a single trace of emotion. 

You wandered your way through the hall and found an open door. Peeking inside the room, you saw the small girl from before curled up in a ball on her bed. You decided to walk over to her and sit down before pulling her into a hug and refusing to let go. 

She sobbed quietly in your arms. The girl cried for a few minutes until seemingly coming to the conclusion that she was tired. "Can you sing me my lullaby, Y/N?" 

You smiled and cleared your throat before whispering the lyrics softly.

"Баю-баюшки-баю,

Не ложися на краю

С краю свалишься,

Переплачешься.

Your eyes closed as you hummed a mesmerizing tune.

Sleep my darling tiny one,

Tucked within your bed so tight,

Else the old grey wolf will come, 

And grab you by your side."

The small girl was beginning to grow tired and pulled the blanket up over her. 

"He'll snatch you up between his teeth,

If on the bed's edge you sleep,

And drag you to the forest deep,

Beneath the quaking tree,"

The child was calm now, her breathing at a steady pace as she clung to the hem of your shirt.

"So close your eyes and fall asleep,

Count the little wooly sheep,

Tucked so tightly you must keep,

Or he will come-

for you."

You reopened your eyes to find the girl fast asleep in your lap. You moved her over carefully and placed a kiss on her forehead. 

"Goodnight, Lena."

Your eyes flashed open and your heart was beating rapidly. At some point two guards had burst into your room and were now grabbing you by the shoulders. You tried to shrug them off but their grasp was too strong.

They shoved you out of the room and led you down a cold hallway.

.

.

.