IV

.

.

.

You felt the cold swipe of a marker move across your forehead before blacking out.

"They're beautiful," Yelena said as she sat in the grass and watched the fireflies.

You were braiding her hair and giggling at her gleeful statement.

The blue haired girl was sitting next to you and spoke in annoyance. "We see them everyday, Yelena." Yet, her eyes were also focused on the creatures in awe.

Once you were finished with the Dutch braids, Yelena stood up and spun, making her dress twirl around her.

The girl next to you laughed and rolled her eyes, so you jumped up and dragged her along with you.

The three of you danced around in the field together for hours. Holding hands and singing nursery rhymes. You wished it could stay like that forever.

But you knew the truth.

"Subject 115, preparing for extraction of the hippocampus structure and installation of software rewiring system 12B."

"Do you believe in fairy tales, Y/N?" Yelena asked sweetly.

You smiled, "Yelena, don't be silly. They're just stories." 

Yelena giggled, "Well I do, and one day I'm gonna slay a dragon!" 

She picked up a stick from off the ground and began waving it in the air adventurously. 

"Creating the incision in 3..."

The blue haired girl posed with an empty box and put on a convincing fake smile.

Yelena didn't understand the point of this tradition, but continued laughing along with everyone else.

You smiled sadly down at the box in your hands, knowing none of this was real.

"C'mon, that's not a smile. Perk up!" A big bellied man holding a camera laughed half-heartedly.

As soon as the camera snapped a decent photo, the blue haired girl stormed out of the room silently.

"2..."

Yelena had been running through the garden again and fell down, scrapping her knees in the dirt. 

You ran up to her anxiously and tried to console her as the blue haired girl stood by and watched. 

The woman with brown hair came over and dusted Yelena off. "There you go little one, what have I told you?"

Yelena sniffled, "P-pain only makes you stronger?"

"That's right, now go wash up. It's almost time for dinner. Your father should be back any moment now."

"1..."

"Do you girls remember when I told you we'd go on a big adventure one day?"

You looked down at your plate as tears welled in your eyes.

"Well that day is today!"

Yelena cheered and clapped as we hurried throughout the house, grabbing only the necessities. 

The blue-haired girl looked down at the floor angrily, "I don't want to go back. I like it here."

The brown haired woman shook her head as to say, "Not now. We don't have time for this."

Although you were unable to move or open your eyes, the sound of gunfire rang in your ears.

You felt your body being lifted and carried to God knows where.

Maybe whoever took you would kill you.

Maybe you'd finally find peace.

.

.

.