And I lunged.

Teeth chomping, growls ripping from each other's throats. The two of us tackled each other and pushed towards the tree line, breaking Billy's boat while doing so.

Our teeth kept chomping at each other getting dangerously close to our necks. Claws wracked down our backs and sides.

In the end Sam didn't need to separate us because I won, I had Jacob bloodied and pinned to the ground. Sam's appearance only held the purpose of making sure Jacob didn't turn back on me.

Once we were phased back and dressed Jacob came up to me, clearly, he wasn't done with it.

"You could've hurt her"

"She wouldn't be in the position to get hurt if you listened"

"she deserved to know"

"why!? Why was it more important for you to tell her? To involve her in the one thing I told you specifically not to involve her in?"

"that's not your call"

"IT IS WHEN YOU PUT MY FAMILY AT RISK!" I roared; Sam stood there allowing us to deal with out issue. "You... that's all this is about. She will never love you, Jacob. And she isn't your imprint, so drop it."

Jacob moved to push me his face angry, but Sam stopped him. "you never should have gone there Jacob. Bella is not your imprint. When I give you an order you will follow it. Last night in case you didn't know there was a leech. She attacked Val and we needed you. Now let's go. You need to get cleaned up"

After we got changed the three of us made our way to Emily's. I retightened my necklace as we walked to the home in silence.

Sam, Jacob, and I made it to the pack house easily. Jacob looked like a dog with its tail between its legs. I hoped he felt bad, he let us down for a girl who will never love him.

Sam stepped through the door first. I followed after, I looked at Bella for a moment. Our eyes connected for the first time since I phased. Before I was paying more attention to the ground at her feet. It was weird, I couldn't explain what I felt in that moment, but it was something more than her being a nuisance. I had to protect her, to be everything she needed.

"Sorry" I replied, a small smile that looked more like a grimace on my face.

"don't apologize, I was out of line. I shouldn't have said any of that or slapped you"

"Yeah, probably shouldn't slap anyone or punch anyone for that matter" I added remembering our time in Port Angeles. I looked away when Jacob entered the house. Sitting next to my pack members I ignored the others conversation.

"oh, man!" Jared wailed looking over at Jacob. Paul and Embry were grinning. I looked at them, but all of their eyes were on Jacob, on fading pink lines on Jacobs arms. I smirked a little looking at Jacob.

Jacob gestured for Bella to follow him, but she stopped for a moment. "Actually, I need to talk to Alex..."

I furrowed my brows and could see the fleeting anger cross Jacob's face. But I nodded and followed the girl out of the house. "in private" She replied.

I scrunched up my face in confusion but relented. I led Bella down to a weeded path. It was colder here, with the wind whipping off the black water, Bella shoved her hands into her coat, but I didn't feel the cold.

Even in a tank top and shorts.

I led us down the beach toward the north seawall. I couldn't see St. James or the other islands, just the vague shape of the water's edge.