Chapter 17

Ida's POV-

My conversation with Loki was something I was not looking forward to. I woke up probably 4 times after the sun rose up, but tried to force myself to go back to sleep, only to avoid the confrontation as long as I possibly could. However, eventually it was impossible to doze off again, so I got up and changed into my dress while mentally preparing myself for the talk.

Thor was not in his room when I was able to get myself up. I had noticed him in here the first two times I had awoken, although I am sure that their were princely duties he was required to attend to. Then again, Loki might have been participating in those obligations, as well. Maybe not, though. He seemed to be more carefree about everything. Then again, he also seemed determined to prove himself to the king, so it would make sense for him to be doing those responsibilities.

Either way, I gathered the few things Fandral had gotten for me and headed next door to Loki's chamber.

The door was closed, as usual. All the doors in the castle seemed to be, which could make it rather confusing sometimes. In the village, doors were always left wide open as a sign of welcome. Things were quite different here, but why would they not be? This was a palace, and the village looked like it could literally sink down into the constantly flooded street at any second. The main road was always about half a foot deep with fresh mud. It was so bad to the point we had had to build stones to get across just to prevent our shoes from getting that dirty.

Even the cottages themselves were falling apart. Every door was rotting, and there were always missing shutters on the windows. Even the houses seemed to tilt at an uncomfortable angle. The foundations were far from sturdy, and sometimes, the mud from the street would enter the house if it rained.

Although, the rain was a blessing rather than a curse to most of us. We did not get a lot of it, but were grateful when the showers would come. It would water the dehydrated soils of the gardens. As muddy as the streets always seemed to be, you would think there would be moisture in all of the soil, but that could not be further from the truth. One of the rivers here just happened to flow down the hill and accumulate in the lowest parts of the ground. 

The worst part was the trash, though. The only way to get rid of it was to burn it, which was usually done every fortnight. You can imagine how disgusting everything would begin to smell once that two week old garbage hung around. It was too rancid to keep indoors, but you could smell the stagnant stench coming from each persons doorstep regardless. It was one of those unpleasant things that was unavoidable. I guess eventually you would begin to accustom used to it. After growing up with it, it became more normal. Forget going up to someone's door, though, without attempting to hold your breath simply to keep it out.

 I took in a deep breath, and pushed open the heavy door. 

Inside, Loki jumped. He had been sitting at his desk reading, his chin in his hand. When he saw it was me, he buried his face back into his palm, as if trying to recover from the slight scare, and perhaps also to hide his reaction. 

"Good morning" he mumbled.

"We need to talk" I said, getting straight to the point.

He let out a dramatic sigh and slammed his book shut.

As  I tossed my belongings down onto the bed, he gawked. It was a mocking gaze, but I sensed uncomfortableness in his eyes. That was good. That meant that I had the higher ground already.

After everything was set down, I whizzed around. "What is wrong with you?"

He smirked. "I could say the same about you."

"What is that supposed to mean?!" I cried, now getting frustrated at his new found confidence.

"How was your night with Thor? Did he show you why he is called the 'god of thunder'?"