56 | twenty-third

Start from the beginning

"how long?!"

her drowsiness immediately disappeared as her mind tried to register the voice who just screamed.

she blinked, her body now completely jolting awake.

'mom!'

"five years." she heard her father reply. there wasn't a lime of vodka in his tone.

her brows stitched together as she walked closely to the door. her father didn't sound drunk at all. so why was he causing a ruckus now?

"five.." her mother's voice cracked. "five years?"

"ye—" slap!

the sound of her mom's palm striking the side of her dad's face echoed throughout the gigantic house, making ymari's breath hitch in her throat.

her eyes widened when she heard her mother's next words.

"you've been cheating on me for five fucking years?!"

the girl leaned her back against the wooden door of her room. her eyes were empty as she tried to compose herself after hearing the revelation.

her dad..

had a mistress?

then the next bullet was shot straight into the girl's heart. the second bullet was supposed to hurt less, it really was. but this next one made her want to gut her insides, sell it to the black market, and have herself buried underneath millions of needles— because compared to that disgusting image of her gutted, this was way worse.

"i'm dying, akio."

her mother's voice was barely above a whisper. if she hadn't been paying attention, she wouldn't have heard it at all.

"who's going to take care of our daughter now?" her mother mentioned her, making the hair in her body stand up.

she felt tears prick the corners of her eyes before they started going down her cheeks at high speeds. the news of her mother dying was dropped on her like a bomb and she couldn't find enough strength to wipe the tears away.

her father, akio amanozako spoke again, "i have a child with—"

"leave." her mother's voice cracked.

"sena—"

"leave, akio."

and just like that, her father left with a resounding doorslam.

a few minutes later, ymari managed to crawl outside of her room, still unable to stand on her own two feet. she felt weak. she felt like all the life has been drained from her just from the two unexpected news that were revealed to her abruptly.

her mom's gaze landed on her crawling on the floor of her parents' room.

"ymari, my love.." her mother, sena seinaru-amanozako cried out, her hands reaching out for the ravenette girl on the floor.

ymari crawled into her mother's arms, letting the woman cry into her shoulder. the sobs of her mother echoed throughout the two-story residence that she used to call home.

sena separated from the hug. her emerald green eyes were reddish as her tear-stricken cheeks faced ymari.

her hands caressed ymari's cheeks as she gave her daughter a lonely smile.

"i'm sorry you had to celebrate your birthday this way."

on the twenty-third of december, 2006, ymari shekinah seinaru-amanozako turned 11.

"i'm sorry."

she found out her father had been cheating on her mother with another woman for five years and that he had a child with her.