All Too Well - Tony

"If we had been closer in age, maybe it would have been fine."

-

"You can't spend another day in bed, Y/n..." Your best friend said opening your curtains," It's been weeks. Avengers Tower called me today, they said you need to come in today...You've already used up all your sick days." Your friend sat next to you in bed and caressed your head. "He already made you lose your smile, do not let him take your career too."

Y/n could only take in one deep breath, then shook his head as he exhaled, "You're right." A small smile appeared on Y/n's friends face, "I'd like to be my old self again."

Y/n's friend helped him to the bathroom and Y/n looked in his mirror for the first time in a long time, he did not like what he saw. His eyes were red and swollen, with bags under them and his teeth were slowly turning yellow from not having brushed them in so long. Y/n's friend handed him his toothbrush and Y/n started brushing his teeth.

It took some time but after cleaning himself and putting on a change of clothes Y/n felt ready to leave his apartment.

In the Stark Industries Tower it had been like nothing had changed, like Y/ns absence made no impact to the daily functions. Natasha caught a glimpse of him, she immediately walked up to him a comforting hug. Y/n was grateful for her hug, she helped him that night too...the night of the party, when Y/n's lifeless frame was on the

In his office a small pile of files and paperwork greeted him. When Y/n sat down at his and immediately got to work, it was easy for him and he had forgotten how much he missed the routine that his job provided.

Y/n froze when he came upon a document that needed Tony's signature. In the past he would jump at the opportunity to go see his boss, they even had their own innuendo about "signing documents", but that was a long time ago.

Y/n thought of just asking someone to hand it Tony, but Tony would know from who's office it came from. "I should go." Y/n said to himself, "Just so that he can see that I'm doing better...Without him, of course."

Y/n walked to Tony's office and hesitatingly knocked on the door, he heard shuffling and thought he should announce himself, "Ton-uh, Mr. Stark, I need you to sign off on some of these docu-" Y/n walked into his office and saw what must be a new assistant around Y/n's age, with Tony.

They were both paralyzed with what looked like panic when Y/n walked in. Y/n saw the assistants shirt wasn't properly buttoned, Tony's desk was a mess and Tony gave Y/n a guilty look that Y/n knew all too well.

"This has got to be a fucking joke!" Y/n let out.

"Y/n wait, please." Tony yelled as he chased after Y/n, who had stormed off.

Y/n walked into his office and through the door shut, it hit Tony as he walked in. Y/n did not care, he grabbed a box and started packing his things.

"Y/n what are you-"

"Leaving." Y/n cut him off, "I'm done, Tony."

"I didn't know you were coming back, nobody told me you'd be coming back. Otherwise I would have..."

"You would have what?" Y/n asked as he shrugged his shoulders at Tony. "You would have not fucked some other guy?"

Tony stayed quiet.

"After we just broke up, Tony?" Y/n yelled.

"It's been weeks! Weeks without you, weeks without anybody else. We can't all cope by disappearing for weeks." Tony took a breath, "This, this is how I cope."

"So what I caught you doing before the party, was that you coping?"

Tony couldn't speak.

"You seem to forget the reason I disappeared Tony, the reason why I'm leaving now."

"I'm sorry, I'll fire him and find someone new."

"Tony, you said if we had been closer in age, maybe it would have been fine. That made me..." Y/n looked up at him, "That made me want to die." Y/n revealed as the built up tears in his eyes streamed down his cheeks. "It's not the assistant that's the problem."

Y/n packed up the last of his things and walked to the door, but Tony stood in front of it. The two looked at each other in the eyes. It was only at this proximity Y/n could see the tears pooled up in Tony's eyes, it was only at this proximity that Tony could tell how extremely close Y/n was to completely breaking down.

Tony let out a defeated sigh and stepped to the side. He closed his eyes when he heard the door shut and the tears that he'd been holding back fell on their own.

----

back with weekly updates :)

who should I choose for the  200k, 300k and 400k reader special?

open for suggestions