24

Harry Styles

"Put a price on emotion
I'm looking for something to buy
You've got my devotion
But man, I can hate you sometimes
I don't want to fight you
And I don't wanna sleep in the dirt
We'll get the drinks in
So I'll get to thinking of her
Test of my patience
There's things that we'll never know
You sunshine, you temptress
My hand's at risk, I fold
Crisp trepidation I'll try to shake this soon
Spreading you open
Is the only way of knowing you
We'll be a fine line
We'll be alright."

Cleo just looked at me as I sang, the tears just wouldn't stop streaming down her face and we'd been on the bed next to each other for the past two hours now.

And I was here for her, in silence and just holding her close to me until she asked me which song I had sung.

I had to tell her it was an original one I had started writing while we were still on the run. It wasn't meant to be important or anything like that, sometimes I liked to write some lyrics and then put them together.

I used to write when I was younger and since Zayn could play the piano, we kinda bonded over that. It was when our friendship truly became stronger, but over the years I got too busy killing who I had to kill and he was too busy working as well.

This new song was actually the first original one I had written in about eight years. And I had no idea why I decided to sing it, but I was scared that Fleetwood Mac would somehow remind her of Landslide and then she'd think about what happened to Louis... and I was really trying to not fuck up again. I didn't want to be kicked out of the room.

So this was the first thing that came to my mind, especially since I'd been

changing up some lyrics recently and it was the only melody that helped me

stop thinking about that creepy whistling that haunted my dreams.

"That's the most beautiful song I have ever heard," Cleo whispered, not even bothering to wipe her tears away anymore.

We were lying down on our sides, facing each other and sharing the same pillow as the dim lighting from the lamp made her eyes seem a dark shade of grey.

"Well, it's about us. Since the beginning... the way I felt before allowing myself to understand how I feel about you. How hard it was for me to comprehend my thoughts of wanting to hate you and being unable to ignore just how much power you had over me. And still have." I told her, reaching out my hand to tuck her hair behind her ear. "The part about fighting is a recent addition, you know why. We've been testing each other's patience since I can remember and I don't think we should forget the things we've been through. You were so closed off, I've always wanted to read your mind."

"When did you write it?" She whispered, letting out a shaky breath along with a soft sob.

"Here and there... I don't know if it's finished. I like to change things, add things." I shrugged.

"Why 'you sunshine, you temptress'?" She furrowed her eyebrows in the same cute way she did when she was overthinking.

"Because you're tempting. I couldn't get you out of my mind, and I knew I shouldn't think about you. I felt like I was doing something wrong." I admitted. "Maybe that's why it was so exciting... you didn't even have to try, I was tempted the moment I saw you at that auction. And I've been ever since, only now I know that I love you. Love makes me feel warm inside and I think of the sun. That's why I used 'sunshine'."

I was so fucking nervous to be talking to her about this. I wasn't ashamed or anything, but I never planned on showing her the song. It was so fucking personal to me... but sharing it made me feel butterflies in my stomach.