Prologue

.

.

.

Fourteen Years Ago

Your arms were strapped down to a cold metal chair. Leather buckles held your limbs in place. You felt the chilling headgear around your skull and a mouth guard keeping you from biting through your tongue.

Sweat coated your skin and chaos coursed through your brain.

" боль (pain)

A man began speaking Russian, a language you were quite familiar with.

  печаль (sorrow)

He was holding a red leather book. On the front cover was a black spider silhouette. 

милость (grace)

As he got to the third word a piercing sound rang in your ears making you squeeze your eyes closed.

 сумерки (dusk)

The noise was only getting louder. Worse by the second. 

 восемьдесят шесть (eighty-six)

Voices and flashes of dreams, no...memories filled your mind. "And we also saw fireflies-Pain only makes you stronger-I don't want to go-Remember that big adventure-Don't touch them!"

 нежный (tender)

Tears streaked your cheeks, not only from the physical pain but from the feeling of your mind being pulled apart from your body. Every part of your life, was being torn away.

 девять (nine)

You heard a distant scream of agony. A fearful, blood-curdling scream that echoed off the walls. You hardly even recognized your own voice anymore.

 тоска (yearning)

The pain was unbearable, maybe if you just gave in...no. You couldn't, you had to find Yelena and Natasha...

 три (three)

Who's Yelena?

 самолет." (aircraft)

Who's Natasha?

The man from before closed the book, snapping the two halves together. His deep menacing voice sent chills up your spine, "Well,  вдова?"

The buckles on your wrists released with a sigh and your face became expressionless. 

"Я готов отвечить." 

.

.

.