Chapter 17 - No such thing (last chapter)

The big doors to the court room opened as Melanie and Jeremy stepped inside. They had been to the police station but a tired Joseph had sent them off to the court room, slurring about how the entire situation had been turned up side down.

The mumbles spread across the room as the spectators turned in their seats to see who had entered. Nicholas was the only one who didn't turn, it was like he already knew, like he had felt her coming before she had even entered the building.

An empty, dirty, box had been thrown to the floor and Samuel had just knelt down to pick it up. Nicholas was standing next to him, huffing, and a video recording played on a screen behind the judge. It showed the ending of the one happening that seemed to be the center of their meeting; A young Nicholas ran from the scene of crime, hiding in the forest, leaving Kevin and the others behind, just before Melanie and her friends had appeared. Watson was seated in the witness chair and next to him stood Chloe.

“Silence.” The judge spoke up, and the many whispering voices faded.

Melanie walked slowly. She had stayed at Jeremy's apartment all night so her hair had already dried but her dress was still ripped. She had borrowed a pair of sneakers from Jeremy, and stumbled forth in the big shoes. Her eyes attached to the judge, she stopped at the first row.

“So?” She asked, out of the blue.

The judge cleared his throat.

“Nicholas Young has been arrested for the murder of both Kevin Montgomery and an innocent student back in his high school days, based on Samuel Johnson's recording of the incident and the discovery of Mr Montgomery's body in a close by forest of Mr Young's house. According to the video, the student was killed out of pure jealousy over having won the yearly theater award.”

Melanie let out a sigh of relief. The judge continued.

“Mr Watson has been arrested for the removal of evidence and Ms Watson for the accidental shooting of Sara Smith. The arrest is currently based on their confessions.”

Jeremy gazed back at his former boss, who gave him a nod to confirm the situation; he had confessed and apparently Chloe had also done so after realizing that Nicholas had only been using her. The doors opened again and Tony walked inside. Two officers walked on each side of the big man, and his hands had been cuffed.

“Tony Moore-” The judge spoke up.

“-has confessed to working with Nicholas Young, the later having asked him to rid of his wife, Melanie Young.”

Nicholas rushed towards Melanie and for a second she froze. A police officer hurried after him as they rushed not to Melanie but past her. Jeremy grabbed her hand as they turned around to see what was going on. Nicholas had been stopped by the officer, right in front of Tony. Tony only frowned behind his wrinkles; he wasn't afraid of anyone in this town and especially not Nicholas Young.

“You promised!!” Nicholas huffed, he was outraged.

“You promised to side with me!!”

Tony was calm, he smacked his lips the slightest and listened as Ms Moore's heels tapped against the floor. She walked up behind him and crossed her arms.

“I promised to keep you out of jail..” Tony began.

“So long as you were to marry my daughter..” He blinked, slowly.

“But from what I hear, you were only using her.”

Nicholas turned to Ms Moore.

“I wasn't talking to you!! I was talking to Chloe!!” He shouted.