Chapter 3 - There's no point in waiting

“So the police really is tracking my calls..” Melanie mumbled as she walked up to the man by the tree.

“How else would anyone know where to find me?”

He turned his head the slightest to gaze back at her while giving out a sigh that spoke of slight disappointment.

“Should you call, I will find you.” He quoted himself.

“If I remember it correctly, that was the promise I gave you when I handed you my card.”

“Your card..?” Melanie asked, but before the man had a chance to reply, she had already turned on her heel and was now heading back towards the log house.

Leaving the door wide open, she stumbled over her coat and made her way towards the living room, not quite as elegant as the Melanie Young known by this town, but definitely quick enough for the man to not catch up with her.

She knelt down, her knees painfully hitting against the cold floor as she rummaged through her bag in search for the card. She could hear heavy steps in the hallway as the man had entered.

“Jeremy Hawkins?” She exclaimed while turning around to face him, waving the card in front of her face.

The heavy steps stopped as he had entered the living room. He was holding her coat in one hand and a cellphone in the other.

“Jeremy is my real name, Jay is my nickname.. I assumed you knew, but I guess I shouldn't expect too much from a stuck up selfish-” He left his sentence unfinished, realizing that he had been mumbling more to himself than to her.

Melanie bit her teeth together the slightest while giving him a nod.

“Can't blame you.” She grabbed her bag and carried it to the couch in order to pack her belongings.

“As it appears, everyone that Mrs Young knows hates her guts..”

“Mrs Young?” Jeremy gave out a quick snort of laughter.

“What, are you too important to speak of yourself in first person?”

Melanie threw her bag back down on the couch.

“She's not me!” She turned so violently that her knee hit against the table.

“I don't know who this Mrs Young is or why everyone is distancing themselves from her as if she's the bad stepmother from hell.” Melanie waved her hands as she spoke.

Jeremy shook his head the slightest as he dialed someone's number and pressed his phone against his ear.

“Pretending to have lost your memory is not going to clear your name, Mrs Young..” He mumbled.

“And as much as I do not want to admit it, it saddens me that you have now added to your crimes by breaking into someone’s home.”

Melanie swung her bag over her shoulder and narrowed her eyes at Jeremy, who was still waiting for someone to pick up.

“I didn't break into anyone's home.” She began.

“I thought you knew this Mrs Young but apparently not enough to know that this is her parents house.” She took a seat in the couch and crossed her arms.

“I called you because I couldn't figure out what else to do. But I changed my mind, I would rather just wait until they're back.”

Jeremy slowly took the phone from his ear, right as Melanie could hear Watson's voice on the other side. Jeremy hung up on his boss while watching her in silence.