Chapter 13 - A new kind of empty

Jeremy swallowed as he tightened his grip around the folder. He had been sent on a mission to get Chloe's files from the archives at the police station. He had successfully gotten to them and now placed them carefully into his bag.

The police station seemed rather empty, and luckily he hadn't run into anyone on his way there. This soon changed though, as he hurried down the corridor and bumped into Joseph, causing his bag to fall to the floor.

“Jay!” The man exclaimed.

“Back to work already?”

Jeremy hurried to pick his bag up.

“No, just picking a few things up.” He could hear people talking on the other side of a door.

“Where are everyone?”

“Ah, Watson is holding an interrogation on two suspects regarding Felicia's case.”

“Samuel and Louise?” Jeremy began but hurried to defend himself.

“The.. gossip travels fast in this town.”

Joseph shrugged his shoulders.

“They were suspects at first but we have no evidence.” He leant closer and lowered his voice to a whisper.

“Though both of them claim that they were only asking Felicia about Melanie Young..” He nodded.

“You know what that means. Felicia spilled Mrs Young's whereabouts, and the later had to off her for it.” He took a sip from his coffee.

“I don't think Melanie would-”

“I don't think there's much Melanie Young wouldn't do to protect her whereabouts right now.” Joseph shrugged his shoulders again as the door in front of them opened.

“She's already involved in so many crimes; we get our hands on her and she can say goodbye to that freedom.”

Jeremy wanted to prove him wrong but he knew that he couldn't. A few officers walked out from the room and Jeremy caught a glimpse of Louise and Samuel before Watson closed the door.

“Jay.”

“Sir.”

“I sadly don't have any good news.” Watson began.

“We're still looking for evidence..”

“Understandable.” Jeremy firmed his grip around his bag.

“These are some of the most tricky crimes I've come across in quite some time..” Watson mumbled.

“And they all link back to Melanie Young..”

“Sir, have you..” Jeremy hesitated, he had promised the others not to tell.

“Have you ever heard of a Kevin in this town?” If it meant that he could minimize the suspicions against Melanie, he would take the chance.

Watson grunted and scratched the back of his head.

“A surname would be good?”

“I'm.. I'm not sure, sir.. But he should be around my age.” The phone in Jeremy's pocket played a tune as a sign that someone was trying to reach him.

“Well there is one young man named Kevin Montgomery..” Watson watched as Jeremy picked his phone up.

“Poor boy, life didn't turn out well for that one. Lives on the streets, known as the town's drunk.. But he went missing just a week ago. No one knows where he went or what he's up to.” Watson gave Jeremy a nod.