Chapter 6: A Life and A Life (2)

"Issei...Issei... Ahem..." she cleared her throat lightly as he started to show signs of waking up. "Proverbs 12:11. Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense."

SMACK

"Ow! Hey, Issei! What was that for!" Yuuma pouted, rubbing her head.

"Huh...? Yuuma!" he asked, startled as he scrambled to sit up. "Why are you in my bed?"

"Why'd you hit me?"

"I didn't...wait...my alarm clock was destroyed. Why did you wake me up with a proverb?" he asked, bewildered.

"Father told me that's how you like to be woken up," she told him, shyly. "I...didn't want to sleep by myself so I came in here and he told me that you liked being woken up with his Proverbs, so he gave me one to read to you."

"Hahaha! I told you! You will ALWAYS wake up to my wisdom!" Yahweh cackled evilly. "But this...this is just the beginning! Soon, everyone will wake up to denounce the sin of sloth! Muahahaha!"

"Why can't there be a mute button for my soul..." Isse grumbled, rubbing his eyes tiredly. "Just...don't listen to Yahweh, ok? I do NOT like waking up to his Proverbs. It was the worst bet I ever made..."

"Oh...I'm sorry! I'll never do it again, ok? Please forgive me!" she begged, holding her hands together.

"Relax, would you," he sighed, rubbing her head affectionately, as he moved to get up. "Yahweh was just pranking me and you happened to be the easiest way to go about doing it. I have to find a way to bring that confidence of yours up, you know? You don't have to be so worried about disappointing me, you know."

"Right...I'm sorry..."

"You're so CUTE~!" he gushed, hugging her affectionately. "Don't apologize so much, ok? You didn't do anything wrong."

"O-ok!" she squeaked out.

"Now," he sighed. "You have to go back to your own room."

"Why?"

"Because I need to get dressed, you need to get dressed, and then we need to eat breakfast so I can go to school."

"What am I supposed to do?"

"Well, you can stay here and get bombarded with questions from my mom...yeah...that's not a great idea. Unfortunately, it's our only option," he rubbed his face in annoyance. "I love mom to death, but she can be...difficult...with these sorts of things. Sorry about what you're about to go through."

"Wait a second, why can't I go with you?" she asked, flailing slightly as he started to carry her to the door.

"Because you aren't enrolled at the school. If you really want to, I'll talk with Sona about getting you enrolled, but for now, you have to stay here. Now go get changed," he told her, rubbing her head and gesturing to her room.

"Ok..." she said sadly, walking to her room.

Issei shut the door and sighed for the umpteenth time. 'She really is adorable but we have got to work on her self-confidence and dependency issues.'

"Yes. Yes, you do."

'I have no issues spending most of my time with her, but she has to be able to do things without me, too. It took ten minutes for me to convince her she had to stay in the guest room until we could find her a more permanent living situation instead of sleeping with me and she came in while I was asleep anyway! She's just so...so...'