Chapter 4: God's New Friends (2)

Once again on his way home, Issei was approaching the bridge. This time, before crossing it, he happened to see a girl standing and looking below at the water. He walked up and stood next to her.

"Hi, Yuuma," he greeted softly.

"Ah!" she squeaked, jumping up and turning around. "Issei! You scared me!"

"Sorry about that. What's wrong, Yuuma?" he asked.

"Nothing's wrong!" she smiled brightly at him, though he could tell it was fake. "I didn't expect to see you here this late."

"I had some stuff at school to take care of," Issei shrugged. "Are you sure nothing's the matter? I know we don't know each other very well, but if I'm going to be your boyfriend, I should help you, right?"

She blushed. "O-of course! I'm fine, Issei, but th-EEP!" she was cut off by Issei giving her a hug.

"It'll be ok, Yuuma. You don't have to tell me. You're sweet, you know? If something really is wrong, you remember you can come to talk to me, ok?"

"O-ok, Issei," she nervously replied.

"Alright, I should get home," Issei said, releasing his embrace. "And you should too. Remember what I said, it's dangerous around here at night."

"I know," she whispered.

"Bye, Yuuma," he said, affectionately rubbing her shoulder as he walked off. "Remember that you have many chances before you've fallen too far."

She stood there smiling and looking at the ground for a moment before his words caught up to her. "Wait, wha- he's gone..."

Sure enough, when she looked up, he was nowhere to be found. 'He couldn't know...right?'

{Line Break}

"You're really pushing it with all these hints you're dropping, you know that, Issei?" Yahweh commented as Issei worked on his homework in his room at his desk. "I can't believe I slept through that!"

'Hey, I fail to see how you falling asleep is my problem. Besides, I have faith in Yuuma. No one that adorable could be all that bad, right?'

"You are so weak..." God deadpanned. "Cute people can be evil too."

'I refuse that notion. Now, if you'll excuse me, Michael's stopping by with the news today,' Issei huffed.

Roughly two years into Issei's training in Heaven, Michael started teaching Issei about the job of the Seraphim and how God's system worked. Michael hoped that Issei would soon become an Archangel and take over his position and Issei simply wanted peace and to help as many people as possible. So, they decided, Issei would soon be introduced to the Seraphim and then the rest of Heaven, following which he and Michael would split the duties of God's system. Because of this, Michael would frequently bring Issei news of various happenings of Heaven and the churches so that Issei was up-to-date on important information and the decisions Michael made based on them. Issei occasionally gave input as well, allowing for some basic scenario practice.

Today, Michael would stop by the Hyoudou residence to discuss various happenings with Issei.

Ding Dong

'That's him.'

"Good timing, I suppose..."

"That's Michael, mom!" Issei yelled. "I'll get it!"