Chapter Thirteen

Beginne am Anfang

I couldn't help the small amused smile from spreading across my lips as I shook my head in amusement. I tip toed to the bedroom door and opened it, thankful it didn't creak from the slow movements of the old building job. Before closing it, I quickly reached down and grabbed my discarded shoes on the inside of the room and closed the door behind me.

A small breath was released from my lips that I didn't know I was holding as I silently tip toed down the corridor, down the stairs and out the small passage way that lead to the front door. As soon as the door closed behind me, I sat down and tied up my shoes and ran as softly as I could on the gravel road away from the house and to the meeting spot.

The moon was practically non-existent as I slowly made my way to the meeting point, providing only a very dim glow only giving me the capability to see the rough outline of objects only slightly in front of me. I cursed as my elbow connected with a tree when I hit the forest but continued on, praying I could make it to the spot in the dark. I suddenly realized the poor planning on my behalf of not bringing any type of light to help me navigate.

A cracking branch from behind me instantly made me freeze in my spot. My heart dropped as I realized Jaxon must have woken up to find I had once again ran away from him, only this time it wasn't to get away from him as I originally planned to do. A dim light was made out in the trees behind me and I help my breath as I sunk down onto the ground, pressing myself into the tree trunk hoping to camouflage with the shadow of the large tree.

Then I saw the last person I expected to see appear in the trees surrounding me, a flame dancing above his head as his eyes looked around.

Joel.

I held my breath and pressed myself closer to the tree as his light walked closer and closer to where I was crouched. I felt my legs starting to cramp from the awkward position and tried to forget about the involuntary contractions in my leg as the mild feeling of pain started building up.

'I know you're here Olivia.' His low voice quietly spoke into the sea of trees. 'Believe it or not, I'm not here to hurt you or to tell Jaxon about you sneaking out at 4:30 in the morning.' He had stopped walking, the crunching of dry leaves and twigs now silenced as he moved his flame around to assist him in viewing what was around him.

I stayed hidden, not daring to move and for him to find me. I didn't believe what he said, not after everything he had purposely done to hurt me and my brother.

I heard him sigh as start walking again, his footsteps against the dry nature sounding further and further away from me as he walked in the opposite direction of my hiding spot. I didn't dare to move yet and uncramp my legs, however I did let out a sigh of relief. That is until his footsteps quickly started walking back to where I am. Instantly my heart beat quickened and my mouth became dry at the thought of Joel finding me. I pressed my face into my hands, wishfully hoping that if I couldn't see him, he couldn't see me.

'There you are.' His voice crushed all of my thoughts as I slowly raised my head from my hands. Peering up, I saw Joel looking down on me with his eyebrows raised as he expectantly looked down on me.

'Here,' he said and stuck a hand down towards me. My initial reflex had me flinching away from his touch as I pressed myself even harder into the tree. A small branch pressed into my skin but I forgot about the discomfort as my main priority is to get away from Joel.

He sighed and dropped his hand, taking a small step backwards. 'Stand up.' It was a demand yet his words were spoken gentle. Hesitantly, I raised to my feet, still wanting to keep distance between the two of us.

'What are you doing out here?' He asked me, his voice gentle as he observed me. I stayed quiet. 'I thought after him freeing the village you wouldn't want to escape him anymore.' Again I stayed quiet. He let out a frustrated sigh and rubbed his hand over his face before trying to attempt conversation once again.