Phone Call

A month later James and I were finally settled into our house. We unpacked everything and we made it our home. We made it our. And we were perfect.

"Have you talked to Daryl lately?" James asks. He's sitting on the couch watching T.V. I had turned in 'Law and Order: SVU' and was making him watch it.

I was in the kitchen making us both coffee and popcorn. Not the best combination exactly, but we had a lot of seasons to get through.

"Not really, he called me the other day to tell me he just put the building on the market. All the staff has been long gone. Everything is in order."

I walk back over and sit next to him on the couch, handing him his coffee and setting the popcorn on the coffee table. He wraps one arm around me the other holds his coffee as he drinks it.

"The detective who led the investigation tried calling me earlier. I haven't called him back." James says. "What?" I put my coffee down on the coffee table and turn to face him.

"I forgot to tell you, it just crossed my mind. You were so excited for me to watch the show it slipped my mind and I forgot. But so you want me to call him back? Or just leave it and see what happens?"

"Baby, you need to tell me these things. What could he possibly want? James what if they figured out Steve didn't actually kill himself? What if he knows?"

"You are getting ahead of yourself. I'll call him back, see what he wants. And we'll go from there. It'll be okay. We'll figure it out we always do."

"James I can't do this again. I can't go back there. We've been free of that life for four months. I can't go back. I don't want to."

I start spiraling without meaning to. James grabs my face in his hands and makes me look in his eyes. "You. Will. Be. Fine." He says slowly. Calmly.

I start to tear up abs quickly shake it off and nod. "Okay." I whisper. He lets go of my face and wraps his arms around my. Holding me firmly against his chest. "Im gonna call him, can you stay calm?"

"Mhm." I mumble and keep my head buried in his chest. "Okay." He says and kisses my head. I loved it when he did that. It calmed me down and the way he did it reminded me I would be okay, as long as I was with him.

He picked up his phone and dialed the detectives number. It picked up after three rings. "Detective Wilson? Hi, this is James Barnes. You called my cell earlier today?"

James had his phone up so I could hear what he was saying. "I did. I saw the company is for sale and you moved out of town, I was just making sure you were doing fine after everything."

"We are. Thank you for calling. Eliza and I just bought a new place and are settled in. After everything that happened with that company, it was too much for us to stay. To much history."

"I completely understand. I would want to get out if I were you as well. And is Miss Ridley home? I'd like to speak with her as well if that's alright."

James looked at me, looking for a yes or no, whether or not I was okay with that. But I started to shake my head no abs I guess he decided for me, because he handed me the phone.

I glared at him but spoke with a smile across my lips. "Detective Wilson? It's Eliza." I answered cheerfully. "How are you?" I ask. "I'm good Eliza. I just wanted to ask you something."

"Alright. What is it?" I ask. James can hear what's being said, just as I could and he raised an eyebrow at this. "Why did you do it?"