Chapter 16: Out of Time

[Zelda]

Zelda scrubbed the counter with all her might, her rag squeaking against the rough surface.

"Haven't you already wiped that counter down?" Malon asked as she put away the recently washed dishes.

Zelda sighed. "Yeah, I have, but it's still sticky."

"It's a tavern countertop. I think it's always going to be sticky."

Zelda laughed. "You're right, but there's not much else to do."

She set the rag down and looked around the tavern. It was empty, almost eerily so. There were no longer groups of friends huddling around the fire or hungry travelers scarfing down food at the tables. Even the usual town drunkards were gone. The tavern's only occupants were Zelda and her fellow worker Malon.

"It's just so strange having it be empty." Zelda huffed and, cupping her chin in her hands, rested her elbows on the counter. "There's nothing for me to do."

Malon clicked her tongue and examined the empty room. "Have you swept?"

"Yep."

"Have you mopped?"

"Do you see how shiny these floors are?"

"How about dusting?"

Zelda sighed. "I've already done it. Twice. Why can't a customer just walk in? Give me something to do!"

Malon laughed. "I never thought I'd see the day where we'd miss the crowd. It's funny how things change. Right, Hilda?"

"Right." Zelda agreed.

"Well, I'm going to go make sure things look okay in the back." Malon opened the saloon doors that led to the storage room and kitchen. "I guess you could wipe the counters more if you really wanted to."

"I've got nothing better to do." Zelda picked up her rag and resumed her meaningless chore. It would be a dark day when she was rendered useless even as a tavern girl, so she'd keep shining and polishing the whole tavern if she had to.

Zelda was serious about wanting a customer to come in. If not to keep her busy, then to just lighten up the tavern a bit. It was just so depressing when empty. But she knew that no one was coming. All the men were gone. They had either marched off to war or fled in fear. The women and children they had left behind didn't have the time—or the money—to come to the tavern, though she was sure some of the heartbroken wives could use a drink.

Zelda closed her eyes and tried to ignore her heart's aching. What she wanted most in the world was for Link to walk through the tavern's doors. He'd walk in with a massive smile, that usual gleam of adventure in his eye, and he'd have some clever excuse for being late. It was hard to be alone and not by his side.

"I think I know who you're thinking about."

Zelda jumped and swiveled around to see Malon leaning against the barrels of ale, a massive grin on her face.

"What?" Zelda shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Yes, you do." Malon walked over and stood next to her. "You're thinking about Link."

A small smile spread over Zelda's lips. "It's that obvious, huh?"

"Well, you can't hide anything from your best friend." Malon nudged her shoulder. "I can read you like an open book.

Zelda laughed, but on the inside, guilt sat heavy in her stomach. She hid so much from Malon, but it was for her own sake. If Malon knew the truth, she'd be in danger, and Zelda couldn't do that to her. Malon had already been so much. The Gerudo army had forced Malon and her father from their home, Lon Lon Ranch. They eventually made their way to Hateno village shortly after Zelda had come here. That had been a reason they had bonded so fast. Both of them were refugees just trying to pull their lives together.