Chapter 12: Useless

[Zelda]

Zelda was furious, and she knew that Link knew that. It was written all over his face. How he hunched his shoulders and hung his head also showed that he knew exactly how badly he messed up.

"I'm so sorry, Zel." Link looked at his feet, refusing to meet her gaze. "I wasn't thinking, and I majorly messed everything up."

Zelda took a calming breath. Link already looked reprimanded enough, and it wouldn't do either of them any good to keep arguing. Her heart softened, and her anger decreased; she could never stay mad at Link long. "It's okay. I took care of everything."

Link looked at her, confused. "You're not mad?"

"No, I'm not mad." She sighed and sat down in the other chair. She was mostly relieved to be home.

Their home wasn't big. It had two tiny bedrooms—Link hardly ever used his, though—and one main room. But Zelda adored it. Its wooden walls held many sweet memories. Plus, it was the only place she didn't have to hide who she was. Though her false name, Hilda, didn't stop her from acting like herself, it still made her feel like she was lying to everyone around her. Which she was, but Zelda wished she didn't have to.

"So, what did you do?" Link finally asked.

"I talked with the people who saw what happened." Zelda rubbed the back of her hand. "They all agreed to keep quiet."

"What's their price?"

"Nothing." Zelda smiled at him. "They said they'd be more than glad to assist the Hero of Hyrule."

"Even that awful Ralph agreed?" Link spoke Ralph's name with heavy disgust.

"He was so drunk that I doubt he'll remember anything come morning." Zelda looked over at him. "But thank you, Link."

"Uh, why are you thanking me?"

"For standing up for me at the tavern." Zelda shuddered at the memory of Ralph grabbing her. "I know I got mad at you earlier, but it was very kind of you to do that for me."

"Awe, Zelda." Link grinned at her, and her heart sped up. "You know I'd do anything for you."

Zelda took a deep breath, gathering her courage. "Even letting me come with you on your next adventure?"

Link hesitated. "Anything but that."

"Oh, come on! I can handle it."

"It's not that you can't handle it. It's because—"

"I'm some delicate princess?"

"No," Link sighed. "It's because it's too dangerous."

"But there are dangers here too!"

"Well, you have my full permission to smite any more drunks that try to touch you."

"There's more than just drunks," Zelda lowered her voice. "Ganondorf and his armies overtook Castle Town yesterday."

"W-what?" Link spluttered, searching for words. "When did he? How did he? What?"

"It's true. Yesterday the remaining Hyrulian forces and the king fled to Akkala Citadel."

"But Castle Town is only a four-day journey from here," Link's foot started tapping. "We're going to have to move again. How fast do you think we can pack up? Should we try the Zora Domain or maybe the Rito?"

"Slow down." Zelda reached across the short distance separating them and took Link's hand. He met her eyes, and she smiled. "Just wait a second. I don't think we'll have to move."