Chapter 13: Patience

[Ganondorf]

Ganondorf stood on the throne room's balcony taking in Castle Town and its surrounding lands. A few groups of Gerudo soldiers moved through the streets below, putting out fires and checking houses and alleyways for the wounded. The battle had been brutal and should've ended the war, but King Rhoam had ordered his troops to retreat before Ganondorf got a chance to finally rid the world of that tyrant. However, the battle had still been a significant victory. The Gerudo were now in control of Hyrule's capital and most of the territory westward, and with the might of his army, Ganondorf had no doubt he'd soon rule over it all.

The click-clack of footsteps against the extravagant marble floor drew Ganondorf from his thoughts.

"King Ganondorf," A general spoke, bowing deeply. "We have just received a report from our scouts."

Ganondorf didn't draw his eyes away from the town below. "What did they find?"

"King Rhoam has taken refuge at Akkala Citadel and is ordering all Hyrulian men—even young boys—must now join the royal army or face execution."

Ganondorf smirked. The dumb king was acting just as he'd thought he would. King Rhoam was a terrified mouse backed into a corner, and Ganondorf was more than happy to snuff him out. First, he would need to cut off the king's supply of men and food. A starving, hopeless, and weak army would be easier to crush.

"Gather me an elite team of our finest soldiers." Ganondorf turned to the general. "We leave at dawn."

"Of course, my Dark King." The general bowed once again and left to complete the order.

Once alone, Ganondorf slowly walked towards the giant, elegant throne. It was an impressive work of art, chiseled from marble, outlined with solid gold, and studded with rare gemstones. He stepped onto the dais, ran his finger along the armrest, and sat down on his new throne. The feelings of pride and accomplishment he expected didn't come, and he clenched his fist—he knew exactly why he still didn't feel successful.

Ganondorf had been driving his army forward for three years, slowly conquering Hyrule. The Gerudo army was mighty, and, thanks to the power of his Triforce, they only obeyed his orders. Chief Urbosa had not been happy about that. She'd also been opposed to Ganondorf's desire to go to war, so he had taken care of her. No one was going to stand between him and what he wanted. With Ganondorf's complete command of the Gerudo army and ability to control monsters, he hoped the war would've been quick. It hadn't been, and now he was stuck in it with what he truly desired just out of his reach.

Ganondorf glanced up at the giant Hyrule family crest carved above the balcony's entryway and growled at the Triforce Symbol etched in stone. This pointless war would never give him what he wanted—what he needed. Only destroying the Hero of Time and the Princess of Destiny would allow him to have the complete Triforce and stop his constant lust for power. The issue was he had no idea where Link and Zelda were—though he could still feel the pull of the Triforce of Courage. It beckoned to him from across the vast expanse of Hyrule, but he was unable to pinpoint its exact location. Link was smart and kept on the move, but Ganondorf knew he couldn't keep running forever. Eventually, Link would slip up, and Ganondorf would pounce.

Ganondorf leaned back in his new throne, unclenching his fists. He felt that their inevitable fight was drawing near, so he would be patient. He had already waited three long years, and he was willing to wait a little more.