"...will be paired up with Chukwurah Kenneth." Wow, another Igbo? I looked around to spot the person while wondering how the announcer got the name accurately. The hall became very rowdy. Why? My mouth dropped open. The school trousers looked so good on him. And the biceps...can I touch? My hands were feeling restless. How could I forget his face? It hadn't been a month ago. So Adonis schooled here?
Was he the reason for the noise?

"You keep staring. Even in public." Why did he have to whisper into my ears? Oh, why? Did he want me to sleep peacefully tonight? My face was hot and probably red. I wanted to squeal. We walked to where those who had partners were standing. I stood beside Buchi.

"What did he say to you?" That was the first thing he asked. I buried my face in his chest and let out a muffled scream before I started laughing. I was crazy wasn't I? Kenneth. That was his name. But I think I'll keep the Adonis. It was special.  "O wu ala na-ayi gị?" Buchi asked. I stopped laughing. Handsome guys made me crazy. I just pray I don't see more.

"It's nothing," I whispered while stealing a glance from cold faced Adonis. He looked so good in the white daywear. It contrasted with the dark skin.

"You stare too much, it's annoying." He said.  I was brought out from my reverie by his eyes. They looked like they could freeze me over. I lowered my head and muttered an apology.

 ***

I stared strangely at the girl who seemed to be following me. But my mind told me she wasn't. But it was strange. Every curve, every bend, every corner I turned, she did the same. I paused while pretending to tie my laces and she walked past. Phew. I continued my journey back to my room. I met her again. It seemed that our rooms were close because she was going in the same direction. She stopped at the room right beside mine. We were neighbours? I had thought no one occupied the room next door. Maybe she had just resumed.

I entered my room and removed my shoes first before lying down on the bed. "Hello?" I answered my phone with a wide smile. This was the second time he called.

"I miss you. I'm missing you terribly. Nothing's the same. Chioma I need you here with me."

"Eben."

"Sweetheart?" Sweetheart? I raised my brows. "Chioma. Do you miss me?"

"Yes. Yes, I do. But..."

"I understand. But my heart aches. It's hurting." His words sounded so...ambiguous. Was there something else? "It needs you. I need you."

"Ebenezer."

"I told you not to leave. Why did you abandon me? How could you?"

"Guy, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Just..just..." He sniffed. "I'm okay."

"Are you crying?"

"Crying? Ha! Have you ever seen me cry? Something is in my eye." He was lying.

"Eben you're crying."

"So what? Don't men cry too?" He said. "Chioma, if you dare forget me."

"I won't. I promise."

"I'll hold onto that." He said. I imagined him smiling. "Can I say something?"

"Yes."

"Don't hide anything from me."

"When have I ever?"

"A few times. You hid Abundance's case. If anything happens, tell me. I know Jordan will protect you."

"Okay, Eben."

"You stare too much

"You stare too much." Have you ever been told that? And Chioma is crazy. See the way she was laughing like mad woman.  FYI

wu ala na-ayi gị: Are you mad?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate.