Chapter 59 - Revival

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beep

Lucy felt something.

It... it wasn't... it wasn't life. Well, it was, but, it wasn't the white hot, mentally overwhelming pain of being reassembled and brought back to life.

It was just... she didn't know.

There was a constant soft beeping, the gentle whirr of a machine, and muffled chatter.

For once in... as long as she came back alive, Lucy felt... she felt alone. Not the painful and choking loneliness, just, the kind of alone like being in your bedroom alone after a long day of socialising, coming from an introvert's perspective.

Lucy felt free.

She opened her eyes to dim light, night-time darkness with the glow of electronics keeping the room from being delved into actual pitch black.

Lucy forced herself upward, something was in her arm and she looked down at it.

An IV.

Her first instinct was to tear it out, but a moment stopped her.

She was in a hospital. A hospital... after nearly destroying everyone — after trying to end the fucking pain — she was alive and in a hospital.

She fell back, staring up at the ceiling. Her vision was off-centred, this she knew. Her sight had adapted to lack of a left eye a while ago, but it still threw her off sometimes.

She was a monster. She nearly killed so many people, she wanted to kill them. If Harumi wasn't there to convince her otherwise... if they didn't all show up like they did...

Oh, she burned Kai. Kai! She burned him!

She nearly killed them. She nearly killed them all and she wouldn't have regretted it. She wouldn't have regretted it one bit! Because of that damn wisp — Nether — darkness — thing in her head!

Lucy wanted to try again, it wouldn't be hard at all. She twisted her hand and another sharp piece of Aether appeared in it...

What would be the point? She thought bitterly. She waved her hand and the piece disappeared. She let her hand fall down as she took a slow breath.

Sleep until dawn... sleep until dawn.

It was slow, recovery.

Lucy still wasn't sure what she was... recovering from, aside from getting stabbed in the gut, but that was her own fault. She fully intended to die that moment, yet no, no, fate — and her brother — had other plans.

Sometimes she wished the doctors failed, sometimes Lucy wished she hadn't failed. But she didn't, technically, her goal at the time was getting rid of that damned voice, and now she was... she was herself. She felt like herself. She felt... free.

Freedom was such a weird concept, as was free will. Was anything truly your own choice when something like fate existed? Is there really freedom when everything is already laid out to happen, it's basically just walking down an airtight hallway and just choosing which side of the hall you're walking on.

A traitorous thought crossed Lucy's mind: why hasn't anyone come to see her?

She swiftly pushed it away. She didn't deserve anyone to show up, she nearly destroyed the whole of Ninjago. She tried to. She didn't deserve forgiveness.

She didn't deserve shit.

According to the doctor, Lucy had went into a medically induced coma and didn't come out for months now. A mixture of brain trauma and emotional trauma and lack of energy, also a heavy amount of dehydration. Lucy couldn't remember drinking much water at all, so that made sense.