I nodded "thank you... I'm sorry I should have just come straight back"

My aunt looks at me, wide eyed "if you did that then Bella may not be okay, I wish it never happened, but you are alive and so is Bella."

I nodded, not truly believing her. it was my fault Bella, and I were around those guys, it would've been my fault if we got attacked. What if they went after another person? What if there was some other unfortunate girl that was attacked because they didn't get their first target.

"Do you think I should file a police report?"

"that's up to you kiddo. If you want to then I would suggest you do so. But they may not catch him."

I didn't want to think about that possibility, but I also didn't want to risk those guys actually hurting someone else. I'd probably have to go back to Port Angeles to file the report, I wasn't sure I wanted Charlie to know about it. Before I get into my head I was taken back for some x-rays, I could already see the bruises on my wrist starting to form.

Once back into my room I found it difficult to keep my eyes open, probably because my adrenaline was gone and my body was crashing, plus I was given some pain meds. Before I could fall asleep Carlisle walked through the door.

"hello, Eve, Alexandra"

"good evening, Carlisle. I'm sorry to pull you in right before the end of your shift, but I know Val would feel better if it was you who handled this"

"not a problem, Eve. Let's get started." Carlisle put the x-ray on the light, before explaining. "her thumb is dislocated, with a small fracture; hand and wrist are sprained, and some bruising is forming." He turned towards me "Do you want to tell me what happened?"

I glanced at my aunt, but figured Edward would probably tell him so I gave him the short story "I punched somebody"

Carlisle nodded "that would definitely cause these kinds of injuries. I'm assuming there was a reason, but I won't ask too many details." He looked at Eve while grabbing the supplies needed. "We're going to wrap it up and give your thumb a splint. I would recommend to refrain from punching anyone"

He focused on my wrist repositioning it so that everything was the way it needed to be. The cold fingers were pleasant and helped with the throbbing... Thankfully.

I got lost in focusing on my wrist that I didn't hear the conversation that Eve and Carlisle were engaged in, probably something about pain or work. Who knew.

But it really made me wonder. If Carlisle was this blood thirsty monster how could he stand to be surrounded by it daily. And not just a little bit of blood, this wasn't like a papercut people in the hospitals bleed like crazy.

"you're all set" Carlisle said finally. I looked at my wrist, it was bandaged with a splint or rather two – one for my thumb and one for my wrist. "the thumb brace should stay on for a few weeks, the wrist brace about 2 weeks."

I nodded, exhaustion getting to me.

"thank you Carlisle... I better get her home before she passes out where she's sitting" Eve replied helping me stand before guiding me to the car.

I wasn't surprised about my mother's reaction when I got home, I was expecting it the entire drive home. But I wasn't the only one. Eve seemed to be rehearsing what she was going to say the whole drive.

"Aunt Eve?"

She snapped out of her thoughts as we pulled into the driveway. "yeah?"

"thank you, for taking me to the hospital"

My aunt sighed "you don't have to thank me for that, I will always take care of you" she paused looking at the house, where a light was on in the kitchen. "I'm sure your mom has dinner ready and is very worried" 

I got out of the car grabbing my backpack, taking a deep breath I followed Eve into the house. My left hand was still cradled against my chest. Two weeks at least in their braces. At least they were comfortable enough. 

Eve and I stepped into the kitchen both preparing for a scolding. "you're lucky dinner's not done yet, otherwise I would be upset"

She finally turned to look at the two of us, her eyes narrowing in on my hand. "what happened?"

"um..."

"she's okay, Carlisle confirmed everything, let's let her take a shower before dinner."

My mom looked like she wanted to protest but nodded anyway "okay, I still need to finish everything"

I walked up the stairs slowly, a heavy stupor clouding my mind. I went through the motions of getting ready for bed without paying any attention to what I was doing. It wasn't until I was in the shower — the water too hot, burning my skin — that I realized I was freezing. I shuddered violently for several minutes before the steaming spray could finally relax my rigid muscles.

I stumbled out, wrapping myself securely in a towel, trying to hold the heat from the water in so the aching shivers wouldn't return. Then I pulled on my pajamas before stumbling into my room. My mom was sitting on my bed, a bowl of chicken and rice sitting on the nightstand.

"I figured you could eat in here" she looked over me again trying to figure it all out "Al, what happened? Eve told me you came back and were basically going into shock"

I sat on the bed next to my mom and allowed her to examine my wrist. "I...I went to the library then to the bookstore... when I left, I saw Bella, and I offered to lead her to the other bookstore. But... But I went the wrong way, I knew I could redirect us but, We got too far in and then there were these guys and they... I punched one of them so we could get away, but it only made him mad. They would've, but Edward showed up and scared them away... mom I'm sorry" I didn't even realize I was crying until my mom wrapped me in her arms.

"don't apologize, it wasn't your fault." She kissed my forehead "I'm just glad you are okay"

"you can't tell Charlie"

"what? Why?"

"I don't know if Bella's said anything or if she wants too... I don't want her to get in trouble or anything" I rambled off. I saw my mom's face soften.

"okay, I won't say anything, but I'm not going to lie. If Charlie asks, I'm going to tell him"

I nodded knowing this was the best I would get. "thank you"

She smiled "okay, I want you to eat then get to bed. you look like you're going to pass out any moment."

"I will." I looked at her as she stood in the doorway of my room.

"and I don't want you walking around Port Angeles alone anymore."

I nodded hurriedly agreeing with her. I didn't particularly want to walk alone anyway. Actually, I didn't want to go to Port Angeles anytime soon. Too terrified those men would find me again and this time I wouldn't have someone to stop them.

I was so exhausted that I fell asleep the instant my head touched my pillow, Toby climbing up next to me bringing a sense of safety. And thankfully I didn't dream of anything.