Chapter 37

A few weeks have now passed and Dean has settled in well at the new school and now spends more time with his friends than at the station. Kelly misses having his little brother around all the time, but he's also happy that Dean has made good friends.

Today Kelly had the day off and Dean's school day ended at 12 p.m. today, so Kelly decided to surprise him and pick him up from school once again. They didn't go home together, but to the shopping center. "What are we doing here?" Dean asked. "Remember when you asked me at our last night in LA if you could get a new, bigger bed?" Kelly asked. "Yes." Dean said with a foreboding. "And we also talked about what to do with both of your beds if you get a new one." Kelly said. 'Yes, we sell them. Did you find someone?" Dean asked. "Yes, I was able to find a buyer who bought both beds for $400." Kelly said. "For $400!" Dean marveled. 'Yes, he picked them up this morning. And now I thought, we could have a look around the furniture department to see if we can find something suitable for you." Kelly said and parked the car. "Cool. Thank you." Dean said and hugged his brother. "You're welcome. But before that, I thought, let's go eat something." Kelly said. "Oh yes please. I'm starving." Dean said. The two went to KFC, ordered and sat down at a table. "So, what did you guys do at school today?" Kelly asked. "We've been doing math most of the day and now we have math homework. I feel like my head is about to explode," Dean said. "Oh no. But hey, today is Friday. It's enough if you do your homework on Sunday when we get home from work." Kelly said. After lunch they went to the furniture department and looked at the beds. "So, do you see one you like yet?" Kelly asked. "Yeah, this looks cool. It even has shelves, then I can put a few books in that I want to read in the evening." Dean said and sat down on one of the single beds. "And you even have drawers, down here to store things and a trundle bed." Kelly said. "Hello, may I show the two gentlemen something?" a saleswoman asked. "It depends. How's it going, Dean, shall we take the bed?" Kelly asked. "Yes, but we can't just take the bed with us." Dean said. "It's just the display model." Kelly said. "I know. I just wanted to make fun of you." Dean said and grinned. The saleswoman looked it up on the computer and then told her colleagues in the warehouse to provide one. She took them to the cash register and Kelly paid. "You can drive to the back of the mall with the purchase receipt. There is our furniture issue. A colleague will bring it out to you and will also help you load it." the saleswoman explained. "Great. Thank you." Kelly said. "You're welcome. Have a nice day." the saleswoman said. "We wish you the same." Kelly said and the two walked to their car and drove behind the mall. At the entrance, Kelly showed the purchase receipt and a member of staff brought you the bed and helped load it.

Back home, Shay and Stella helped unload. Matt and Sylvie stopped by in the afternoon. The boys assembled the bed while the girls sat in the living room and talked. "Dean has gone through an extreme change in the last few months." Sylvie said. "Yes, considering he barely spoke at first and didn't trust anyone but Kelly." Shay said. "What are you guys talking about?" Kelly asked as he walked into the living room. "About the change Dean has gone through in the last few months." Stella said. "But you also played your part there." Kelly said. "How far are you guys?" Shay asked. "Ready soon. Why?" Kelly asked. "Well, we thought maybe we could put the grill back on now that we've cleaned up the garden." Stella said. "Yes, we can do it. We've got maybe 5-10 minutes." Kelly said. "Then we can go shopping for everything we need." Stella suggested. Sylvie and Shay agreed. Dean, Kelly and Matt finished assembling the bed and then went out into the garden. Dean jumped around on the trampoline while Kelly and Matt prepared the BBQ. After dinner, Dean played a little more in the garden and the adults sat at the picnic table and chatted.

At 2 a.m. at Matt and Sylvie's home:

Matt and Sylvie were lying in their bed asleep when Matt was suddenly woken up by a strange smell. "Sylvie, hey." Matt whispered, trying to wake Sylvie. "Mhmm, what?" Sylvie asked, half asleep. "Do you smell that?" Matt asked. "I don't smell anything." Sylvie said, rolled over and went back to sleep. Matt looked at the door, then lay back down and went back to sleep as well. A few minutes later the smell got stronger. Matt got up, careful not to wake his wife, and opened the bedroom door and froze. The apartment was completely filled with smoke and he could see flames under the crack in the door. He immediately closed the door again. "Sylvie, we have to get out of here immediately." Matt called, pulling on a pair of pants. "What's the matter?" Sylvie asked, sitting up. "Our entire apartment is smoked and there's a fire in the hallway." Matt said, throwing her clothes to her. "Wait, what!?" Sylvie asked in horror and quickly got dressed. The sirens of fire trucks and ambulances could be heard outside. "And how do we get out of here?" Sylvie asked. "Through the kitchen window and down the fire escape." Matt said. The two took a deep breath, Sylvie opened the door and the two ran to the kitchen window. The two climbed down the fire escape and were met by firefighters below. "Aren't you Captain Matthew Casey and Paramedic Sylvie Brett of the 51?" one of the firefighters asked. "Yes." Matt said.

"Do you live here?" the fireman asked, bringing them two blankets. "We used to live here." Matt said.