Chapter 23

The next afternoon, Dean came home from school pretty upset. He tossed his school bag in the corner and placed a bag and envelope on the kitchen table. "Is Kelly here?" he asked with tears in his eyes. "No, he's still in the academy. What's the matter?" Stella asked. "When he comes home, tell him to sign the letter and then he should send it to the email address that is on the bottom of the letter." Dean said and went upstairs and slammed the door of his room. Stella and Shay looked at each other and Stella took the envelope and opened it. She showed Shay the contents of the letter and Shay looked at the letter in disbelief. When Kelly got home, Stella and Shay were in the kitchen cutting the vegetables for dinner. "Hey, what did I miss?" Kelly asked, kissing Stella. "You have to do something about Dean. He came home from school today very upset." Stella said. "Yes, and he left this bag and this envelope for us, in which I should tell you, with greetings from Dean, to sign and then send it to the e-mail address below." Shay said, handing him the letter. Kelly read the letter and was just as stunned as Stella and Shay. "Maybe I should have taken him out of school the day he moved in with us." Kelly said. «You mustn't blame yourself. Listen, you sign the letter and send it to the address mentioned and then at least this nightmare will be over." Stella said and kissed him on the cheek. Kelly signed the letter and went into the computer room to scan the letter and mail it to Mr. Kendall. "What's in the bag, anyway?" Kelly asked when he came back into the kitchen. "No idea. Dean had it with him when he got home." Shay said and put the broccoli florets in the water. Kelly looked into the bag and took out 5 door signs. «They are cool. Did Dean do them?" Shay asked. Kelly shrugged his shoulders and took another piece of paper out of the bag. "What does it say?" Stella asked. "Dean only got a C- for the signs." Kelly said. "For that, they're worth at least a B+." Stella said. "I'll go upstairs and check on him." Kelly said. "That's a good idea." Shay said. Kelly went upstairs, knocked on Dean's room door and went inside. Dean sat in his reading corner and listlessly leafed through a Harry Potter book. "Are you coming to yell at me again?" Dean asked, pouting. "Why should I do that? Did you do something again?" Kelly asked, sitting down next to him. "I was just kicked out of school and only got a C- for my door signs." Dean said in a shaky voice and his eyes filled with tears. Kelly hugged him and kissed him on the head. "Hey, listen to me. I'm not angry, neither with the expulsion from school nor with the C-. Listen, it's still about 2 months until the summer vacation. What do you think if you come with me to the academy next week and give me a little help?" Kelly asked. Dean nodded and wiped the tears from his face. "Alright then, come. We're going downstairs now and attach the door signs to the doors to which they belong." Kelly said and helped Dean up. "Hey, are you okay?" Stella asked when Dean and Kelly came into the kitchen. Dean nodded and wiped the last tears from his face. "Have you already looked in?" Dean asked, sat down on one of the bar stools and grabbed the bag. "What if?" Shay asked. "Nothing at all. I just wanted to know if you've already seen the grade." Dean said and took the door signs out of the bag. Kelly got his toolbox from the closet and went upstairs with Dean to hang up the door signs. "Should I take the door sign for Matt and Sylvie tomorrow and give it to them?" Kelly asked, putting the hammer in the toolbox. "No, you have to hang it on the door of their room. If Matt and Sylvie move in here, they'll need a door sign too." Dean said, took the hammer from the toolbox, went to the guest room, where Matt and Sylvie always sleep and held out the hammer and door sign to Kelly. Kelly shook his head and smiled. "Okay, but what do you mean when Matt and Sylvie move in?" Kelly asked. «We're a family. We should all live together." Dean said, handing Kelly the door sign. While Dean brings the toolbox into the closet, Kelly had to think about what Dean had just told him. "Boys, dinner is ready." Shay called. Dean and Kelly sat at the kitchen table and Stella and Shay brought the plates. Dean looked at his plate and grimaced. "Is something wrong?" Shay asked. "I don't like broccoli." Dean said. "You know the rules, if you don't eat your vegetables, there's nothing sweet for dessert." Kelly said. Dean pouted, but ate everything.