Chapter 26

8 weeks later

Today was the last day of school before summer break and today was Dean's trial run at his new school. When he came down to breakfast, he looked pretty tired. "Hey good morning. Didn't sleep well?" Kelly asked. Dean rubbed his eyes, yawned and shook his head. "Hey, what's up? Is it because of the new school?" Kelly asked. "I'm afraid that everything will start all over again." Dean said and tears rolled down his face. "Hey, come here." Kelly said and hugged Dean. "What's going on here?" Stella asked, who now also came into the kitchen. Dean quickly wiped the tears from his face. "Deans scared it's going to start all over again." Kelly explained. "What if my classmates are mean to me?" Dean asked. "Then you go to your class teacher and let her know." Kelly said. "What if she doesn't listen to me or doesn't believe me?" Dean asked. «Ok, let's say the situation is the same as at your old school. If so, you come to us and let us know. Then we'll fix it." Kelly said. Dean nodded. "And I'll drive you to school and talk to your teacher and the principal so they both know." Kelly said. "Okay, can I have breakfast now?" Dean asked. "Of course, what would you like?" Kelly asked. "Toast with Nutella." Dean said. "You'll be in for a surprise when you come home from school." Kelly said, handing him his breakfast. "What surprise?" Dean asked. "We won't tell. Otherwise, it's no longer a surprise." Stella smiled. "I'll stop by the firehouse later. I have to finish clearing out my office before the sanitation work begins." Kelly said. "Should I come home from school alone or is someone coming to pick me up?" Dean asked, putting his plate in the sink. "Would you dare to come home alone?" Kelly asked. "Yeah, I think so." Dean said. "Ok Good. Then we can prepare everything here." Kelly said. Kelly drove Dean to school and talked to his teacher and the principal before he drove to the firehouse.

During break, Dean sat on one of the picnic tables and drew. "Hey, can we sit with you?" a boy asked. Dean looked up and saw a group of boys and girls standing in front of him. Dean nodded and put his things together. "You're the new one, aren't you?" one of the girls asked. Dean nodded. "I'm Nylah, we're in the same class." Nylah introduced herself. "We're all in the same class." another boy said. "He's obviously a bit scared. Just trying to be nice." Nylah said. The others also sat down at the table. "Hey, did you draw that?" Nylah asked, looking at Dean's drawing. "Yes." Dean said softly. "I have a feeling you're not feeling well. Is there anything we can do to change that?" one of the other girls asked. "Perhaps we should introduce ourselves first. my name is Brandon This is Henry, Ashton, Jonah and Jasper." Brandon introduced himself and the other boys. "My name is Nylah and this is Hazel, Lauren, Melody, Meave, Macy, Crystal and this is my twin sister Nia." Nylah introduced herself and the other girls. "And what's your name?" Lauren asked. "My name is Dean." Dean said shyly. "Hey Dean, nice to meet you." Macy smiled. "Would you like to be part of our gang?" Brandon asked. "Yeah, then you don't have to be alone anymore." Nia said. "Are you serious?" Dean asked cautiously. "Yeah, why? Don't you want to?" Melody asked. "Yeah, but no one's ever wanted me in their gang until now." Dean said. "Didn't you have any friends at your old school?" Jasper asked. 'Yes, but only two. By the way, they will also come to this school after the summer break." Dean said. "Cool, they can join our gang then." Jonah suggested and everyone nodded. "What's their name?" Hazel asked. "James and Julian." Dean said. The kids spent the rest of the break getting to know each other better. Dean slowly thawed and gained confidence in his new friends.