Chapter 25

Since Dean no longer had to go to school, he was much more relaxed and enjoyed life again. One thing has still not changed, waking Dean is still a challenge. Kelly knocked on Dean's door. Dean was still sound asleep under his covers. Kelly made his way to the window and pulled up the blinds, and on the way to the bed he stumbled across one of the remote-controlled cars. "What's that supposed to mean, it's still dark." Dean said, who was startled with the duvet over his head. Kelly pulled the covers off his head. "Good morning, Instructor Dean." Kelly smiled. Dean looked at him sleepily and pulled the covers back over his head. "Come on, it's time to get up." Kelly said, laying down Dean's clothes. "Please, only 5 more minutes." Dean begged. «Nothing there. I don't play this game this time. Get up, get dressed and then come down for breakfast." Kelly said and pulled Dean up. Dean looked at his brother with a look that could have killed him. "I love you too." Kelly laughed, kissed him and left the room. Dean climbed down the ladder of his bunk bed and got dressed. "Good morning, did you sleep well?" Shay asked when Dean walked into the kitchen. Dean rubbed his eyes, yawned and nodded. Kelly gave him a plate of pancakes. After breakfast, Kelly and Dean drove to the academy. The recruits were already in the classroom when Kelly and Dean walked in. "Good morning class." Kelly said. "Good morning, Instructor Severide." the class said. "This is my brother Dean; he'll support me a little today." Kelly said. "Good morning, Dean." the class said. Dean took a few steps back as a precaution. "That was scary." Dean said. While Kelly explains the theory to the class, Dean sat at the desk and drew. Before the lunch break, there was an examination of what had been learned. "So, Dean will now go through and collect your cell phones." Kelly said and gave Dean a shoebox. Dean went from table to table and collected all the cell phones. Dean put the shoebox on the table and Kelly handed out the exam papers. "You have time until lunchtime to answer the questions." Kelly said. While the class was answering the questions, another instructor came into the classroom to discuss something with Kelly. Dean kept an eye on the class so no one could cheat. At some point Dean noticed something suspicious. He picked up the shoebox and went to the recruit's table and held the box under his nose. The recruit looked at him and reluctantly put his cell phone in the box. Kelly watched the situation and smiled proudly. After lunch, various exercise units were on the schedule. The recruits learned how to climb a ladder quickly and effectively and they learned with dummies how to shoulder people correctly. "Okay, in the end, Dean will be hiding somewhere in that smoke-filled chamber. You're going to go in there as a team of two and look for him. He will give the first four teams of two a slip of paper so that I know that you have found him. The last team will carry him out the way you learned to do it and do me a favor, I would like to take him home safely." Kelly said. The recruits went in teams of two one after the other into the smoke-filled chamber to look for Dean. When Dean was safely back in the fresh air, Kelly explained how to proceed. "Ok, next time we'll meet at station 51, then you can see how such a shift works." Kelly explained. They went back to the classroom to get their bags. Kelly and Dean drove home. "Kelly, do you have to work during the summer vacation?" Dean asked. "I do not know yet. Why are you asking?" Kelly asked, trying not to make a note of it. «Well, it's summer vacation. I thought we could do something longer than just a day or two." Dean said. "I'll talk with Chief Boden." Kelly said, smiling secretly.