Chapter 4

When Dean came to school the next morning, hisfriends were already there. "Hey guys." Dean greeted. But his friendsignored him. "Hey, what's going on?" Dean asked. His friends eyedhim, turned and walked away. Dean stood a little confused in the school yard.During the whole school day, no one spoke to him except the teachers. At lunchDean wanted to sit down with his friends, but they wouldn't let him. He triedthe other tables, but no one wanted him at the table. Dean sat down at a free,empty table and poked around in his food. When James saw that Dean was allalone at the table, he sat down with him. "Don't listen to them, you can't helpthat your mother's boyfriend is like that. By the way, my dad isn't mad at youeither. You can still come to us" James said, smiling at him. After class, Deanwas picked up by his mother, as she intended, and drove home. When they gothome, Dean was immediately sent to his room. The windows were still locked.Dean took out his action figures and played with them. Suddenly he heard thedoor being locked. "Hey, hello, let me out." Dean called and bangedon the door. "Not at all, Wesley and I have a good evening and you stay inyour room" his mother said. "What if I have to go to thebathroom?" Dean asked. "That's not my problem, we're gone now"his mother said. Dean kept pounding on the door. When he heard the car driveaway, he gave up and let himself fell on his bed. Dean lay on his bed andstared at the ceiling. Suddenly someone pounded on the door. Dean jumped up andstood paralyzed in his room. When there was another knock on the door, Deanwoke up from his stare and looked for something with which he could defendhimself. When he heard the door open and heard footsteps in the apartment, hegrabbed one of his action figures and stood with his back to the wall. When thefootsteps approached and someone knocked on his door, he held his breath andheld the action figure tightly in his hand. When he heard the door unlock, hegot ready to attack. The door opened. Dean reached out, threw his action figuretowards the door and hit Ruzek right on the head. "Ouch, hey, it's just us."Adam said, rubbing his forehead and picking up the action figure. "Sorry,I thought you were a burglar." Dean said. Jay, Kelly, and a third manlaughed. Adam gave the action figure back to Dean and Kelly and Jay packedDean's stuff. "What are you doing?" Dean asked. "What do youthink of moving in with your brother?" the man asked. Dean nodded shyly."By the way, I'm Thomas and I'm from the youth welfare office." theman said. "Don't worry, he's on our side." Kelly said. " You have to packthese two boxes as well." Dean said and pulled two boxes out of hiscloset. "What's in there?" Kelly asked. "I'll show you at home."Dean said. When everything was packed and stowed in Thomas' car, Kelly put hisbrother in the child seat and buckled him up. Thomas sat on the driver's sideand Kelly sat in the passenger seat and they drove off.