Chapter 28: I Wish I Could Hate You, Jared Sullivan

Start from the beginning

Mom smiled at me. “Well, have fun, dear. Remember not to stay so late.”

“Sure, Mom,” I gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “We’ll probably be back by one in the morning.”

“Okay, I love you. Have fun!” she called as I was heading outside.

“Love you, too, Mom!” I called back.

My heels clicked loudly on the pavement as I walked towards the shiny Mercedes Benz parked in front of our curb.

Chase got out of the car to meet me. He was wearing a white tux with a startling red bow tie. His hair, which was usually a bit shaggy, was now combed and styled so that it stuck out on the front. He looked so amazing that when I was walking towards him, I accidentally tripped on a stone.

Good thing he was there to catch me before I could break my heel.

“Whoa, there. We’re not even at the dance yet and you’re already hurting yourself. Oh, well. I guess you just can’t help being an utterly clumsy person.”

I smacked him playfully in the arm, a routine I’ve become accustomed to doing lately especially after Chase decided we were better off as friends.

“Oh shut up, Chase.”

Chase laughed, which made me smile. It was nice to see him like this all the time again. It made things a whole lot less awkward.

“You know I have to admit, you’re pretty handsome, tonight,” I said, quite impressed by the way he fixed himself. Chase wasn’t actually the type to care about clothes. His definition of high fashion is a shirt, jeans and Converse shoes. Go figure.

“Speak for yourself.”  Chase kept his eyes glued to me. I suddenly felt an awkward feeling, one I haven’t experienced since Chase let go his feelings for me.

“What?” I said when he didn’t take his eyes off me. “Is there, like, something in my face?”

“No,” Chase said, surprised by my question. “It’s just that… Damn! I suddenly regret giving up my feelings for you last week.”

“What?” I said, completely confused.

“It’s totally illegal for you to seduce me like that! So unfair!”

“But I’m not doing anything!”

“Come on, Kelsie. Don’t play dumb with me. Have you seen yourself in the mirror? You look beautiful, okay. You look exquisite, lovely, gorgeous. There I said it.”

“That’s not exactly what a friend says, you know,” I reminded him.

“I know, I know. I just can’t help myself. It’s like you’re tempting me to look at you.”

“Okay, okay. Then I promise you right now that I won’t ever be this pretty whenever you’re around so you won’t get tempted again.”

“Good. Now you better get inside the car before we arrive late for the dance,” Chase said, opening the shotgun seat door for me.

“Thanks, chauffeur,” I said, grinning at him.

“Ha-ha, very funny.”

“Aw, come on. I really like the bow tie.”

He rolled his eyes at me. “Unbelievable. I just told you a while ago how pretty you are, and now here you are laughing about my attire.” He made tsk tsk noises with his tongue as he revved the engine and stomped on the gas pedal.

“Next stop, Apple Valley High School Gym,” Chase said, sounding completely like a chauffeur. I had to stifle a laugh on that one.

*                 *                 *                *